Thread: reverse mohawk?

reverse mohawk?

Hufflepuff has what looks like a reverse mohawk - a bald line down the center of his forehead.... is this a normal quilling pattern? Or is it a common characteristic of hedgies (or certain breeds of hedgies)? Or is this something abnormal that I should be concerned about?

Re:reverse mohawk?

It\'s totally normal. All hedgehogs have it. It\'s more noticeable on some than on others.
    Ann
    Connecticut Hedgehogs
    A USDA licensed African pygmy hedgehog breeder located in CT. We serve the tri-state area of CT, New York State and NJ as well as Western MA (and anywhere else you happen to be) Visit our website for more information

That\'s a relief! I had never noticed anything about it during my online research. I think it\'s pretty adorable (I\'ll try to get a good picture of it sometime to post, so far I\'ve only got side shots and nothing straight on - he doesn\'t stay still long enough for it). Thanks for the info!

CThogs wrote:
    It\'s totally normal. All hedgehogs have it. It\'s more noticeable on some than on others.
    The more defined mohawk, as I understand, is an Algerian trait. Although all of our prickly pals do have their funny little do\'s. It\'s kinda like a little split partially down the middle that, I believe, allows them to roll up tight and poke their quills in all directions w/o poking themselves.

-K
    Kelly Sosik-Hamor
    Hamor Hollow Hedgehogs, a New Hampshire breeder
    Do you want to buy a baby Hedgehog? Ask me if they are available |
    Hedgehog World

I got a picture of Quentin\'s reverse mohawk. He\'s an algerian so I guess it\'s bigger than normal. I couldn\'t take the time to focus the picture since he wasn\'t a very pleased hedgehog with what I was doing.

[img size=478]http://www.hedgehogworld.com/components/com_joomlaboard/uploaded/images/HPIM4087.JPG[/img]
    Jessica
    Des Plaines, IL

Become a fan of Quentin on Facebook!

I had posted a similar question last week, Max\'s mohawk is noticeable and he seems to be loosing some quills - are you sure this isn\'t just an old man balding?:S

Wicket has one too. Sometimes his is really noticeable, and other times you cant tell.

It\'s all normal, nothing to worry about.

-K
    Kelly Sosik-Hamor
    Hamor Hollow Hedgehogs, a New Hampshire breeder
    Do you want to buy a baby Hedgehog? Ask me if they are available |
    Hedgehog World

zorra578 wrote:
    I got a picture of Quentin\'s reverse mohawk. He\'s an algerian so I guess it\'s bigger than normal. I couldn\'t take the time to focus the picture since he wasn\'t a very pleased hedgehog with what I was doing.

[img size=478]http://www.hedgehogworld.com/components/com_joomlaboard/uploaded/images/HPIM4087.JPG[/img]
    Cotton\'s looks just like that- it\'s a huge bald spot! Noodles\' really isn\'t that bad, but perhaps that\'s because he\'s more cinnicot than algerian...

I just noticed Mina's mo hawk is pretty big, bigger than Winston's. Winston was an Algerian chocolate and Mina is a champagne color. Are mo hawks more noticeable on lighter colored hedgies than the average color hedgie? Also, I noticed her skin in the mohawk was grey when the rest of her is whitish. Is that normal?
    Momma to Wilhelmina Wiggles, and Winston Willobee III who has crossed the rainbow bridge.