Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do the African hedgies survive?

How do the African hedgies survive?

I\'ve been telling people about my hedgie including how she needs to be kept at a certain temperature -- too cold, she could try to hibernate and die; too warm, she could try to estivate and die. And the questions I get back are:
    How the heck could they survive in the wild? Is there some place that just magically never goes below 70F or above 85F? How is it possible they have survived as a species with that kind of requirement? One heatwave or cold snap and *poof* they\'re all gone!
    So far, I really don\'t have any good answers. Any thoughts?
    --> Satin Mirranda Hufflepuff <--
    --> Tex Buckaroo Hufflepuff <--

Re:How do the African hedgies survive?

well, they live in the dessert/africa, and also i believe that the kind we have is a hybrid species, not one found in the wild exactly. i think a warmer climate hedgie was crossbred with a colder climate one? correct me if i\'m wrong, i just vaguely remmeber reading about this.

also, they can take hotter temperatures at times. My hedgie actually really loves it when it gos above 80 and he\'ll be playing and exploring like nuts. i\'m a bit worried because my new place doesnt have any air conditioning, so its harder to regulate the temperature, but so far he seems to be okay. i\'m keeping a close eye on him though!

the only problem is, he doesnt seem to be eating as much, though he definitely eats and still poops a lot. i try to hand feed him a little when i play with him, and every so often he gets a mealworm, so hopefully he\'s fine =)

they ARE picky little guys though arent they? heheh i love how i even give magellan bottled water (i hear that a lotta hedgies dont like the taste of tap water).

we use Brita filtered water in my house, makes a big difference in the coffee. But it is a municipal water system that is chlorinated and that is probably what the hedgies don\'t like.

I use a britta filter on my tap and Ava loves her water
    Family: Ava & Gelsomina - Hedgehogs
    Enoch & Fellini - Cats
    Meneo - Dog
    Carlo - Human

Our hedgehogs are a cross breed of that Algerian and White Bellied hedgehogs which are both African hedgehogs and need the warm climate.

In the wild, many hedgehogs live in the underground abandoned borrows of other animals, so I imagine they would escape under ground when things get too hot.

clutterbuster wrote:
    we use Brita filtered water in my house, makes a big difference in the coffee. But it is a municipal water system that is chlorinated and that is probably what the hedgies don\'t like.
    My hedgehogs all (50+ at the time) did perfectly fine on municipal water when we had it. I know Stasi\'s are all on it as well. It really isn\'t an issue. Not that giving bottled or filtered water is bad, it just isn\'t a necessary expense.
    Kelly Sosik-Hamor
    Hamor Hollow Hedgehogs, a New Hampshire breeder
    Do you want to buy a baby Hedgehog? Ask me if they are available |
    Hedgehog World

i tend to always have some around anyway, and i only have the one hedgie, so at least for now i dont mind the expense.

My hedgie was on bottled water for awhile and then later I slowly moved her over to tap water. I do live in a city so the water doesn\'t really taste great but Digit doesn\'t seem to mind!

lol Africa is that magical place. Places in the tropics and near the equator (though I believe our hedgies are related to south African ones which fluctuates a little more) rarely have a large fluctuation in temperature. Places like Hawaii and Mexico are the same too, they are about 70-85 year round, so it\'s not that out of the ordinary.
    Jessica
    Des Plaines, IL

Become a fan of Quentin on Facebook!

Not only what you guys have said, but do understand that there are animals who live in desert like regions in Africa that survive during dry seasons in what we would imagine would be unbearable heat here. A trick that these kinds of animals have learned is where to find resting places out of the heat, and out of the sun. Since hedgehogs are a burrowing animal, they burrow into the earth where it is much cooler during the daytime, kind of like how if you don\'t have AC, you might hideout in your basement because it is so much cooler :-D.

My personal experience with hedgehogs has been that they are not as sensitive as everyone makes them out to be, and have done just fine in cooler temperatures- but nothing below 50F.

My personal experience with hedgehogs has been that they are not as sensitive as everyone makes them out to be, and have done just fine in cooler temperatures- but nothing below 50F.
    50F is too low. Most of mine do fine in the 70-72F range. I have had a couple who needed it consistently warmer. It is sort of like people-one person\'s \&quot;just right\&quot; may be another\'s \&quot;too hot\&quot;or \&quot;too cold\&quot;. You need to get to know your own hedgehogs requirements.
    Ann
    Connecticut Hedgehogs
    A USDA licensed African pygmy hedgehog breeder located in CT. We serve the tri-state area of CT, New York State and NJ as well as Western MA (and anywhere else you happen to be) Visit our website for more information