Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Differences between Hedgehog breeds

Differences between Hedgehog breeds

Its seems that most hedgehogs avaliable are the African ones. Wouldn\'t it be easier to own a European one? The reason i think this is because they have a wider tolerence of temperatures. Can someone help me out? Thanks everyone

Btw, I\'m getting one soon!

Gleb

Re:Differences between Hedgehog breeds

Yes, but there is a slight problem. It is illegal to own a European hedgehog.

I think the Madagascar hedgehog is pretty cool looking. They are all black. Hedgie hugs...Tiffany

ok well that sums that up. Makes sense too i guess. If they get loose in the wild, the whole ecosystem can be thrown off. Then why are African hedgehogs illegal in Vermont and Maine, I think?

Administrator

I would love to own Euros, but there aren\'t any (that I know of) available in the US pet market.
    Matter of fact, I am not really certain if their are any species other than the typical \"african pigmy\" type readily available in North America.
    Most states where hedgehogs are \"illegal\" don\'t actually list hedgehogs as illegal. They just don\'t have them included in \"legal\" lists. As far as why some of the states have them not legal... hrm... good question. At one point, a state official told a hedgehog savvy individual that hedgehgos were illegal because they were a threat to the pork industry. *snicker*
    Becca

Hi,

I realise you are talking from a US perspective, but thought I\'d contribute from the UK.

Strictly speaking its not illegal to own a european hedgehog in the UK. It is illegal to sell them, capture them or deal in them for profit. A few people do keep them in their enclosed gardens. Where they are happy enough to feed on the same diet as african pet hogs plus any other things they forage for.

These hedgehogs have usually been taken in as rescues and are given out to inspected homes.

At the moment there seems to be a surge in the interest in these hedgehogs because it has been discovered that their numbers have declined over the past years.

Most of the hedgehog rescues hate the idea of hedgehogs being kept as pets and see the recent interest in african hogs in the UK as bad because it may in turn lead to an illegal trade in European Hogs.

I would stick to the african hogs as they are easy enough and are well suited to a life indoors

Post edited by: green, at: 2006/05/01 16:47

Post edited by: green, at: 2006/05/01 16:51

Gleb wrote:
    ok well that sums that up. Makes sense too i guess. If they get loose in the wild, the whole ecosystem can be thrown off. Then why are African hedgehogs illegal in Vermont and Maine, I think?
    hedgehogs have been legal in vermont for over a year and a half now.

-K
    Kelly Sosik-Hamor
    Hamor Hollow Hedgehogs, a New Hampshire breeder
    Do you want to buy a baby Hedgehog? Ask me if they are available |
    Hedgehog World

In 1990 the USDA banned imports of hedgehogs from Africa. A few shipment made it in to the USA before the ban. So, the hedgehogs we all own and love are descendants of those hedgehogs.

Boy, you can till I been reading on hedgehogs.

Robin and the Herd(Isabella, Rocko, Madaline, Gracie, Cutter)

Here\'s the list I have of where it is illegal to own hedgehogs. This was current as of six months ago, so know there could have been recent changes made that I don\'t have on my list. Hope this helps clarify things a bit. Hedgie hugs...Tiffany

Arizona
    The restrictions in AZ are rather bizarre. African Pygmy hedgehogs are \'officially\' legal, but Arizona Game & Fish Department will only allow keepers to have hedgehogs if you can first meet certain housing and other requirements. The requirements that they stipulate are virtually impossible for even large, accredited zoos to meet. As a result, there is little chance that the average person will be allowed to keep a hedgehog within the state.

California
    Hedgehogs are illegal in the entire state of California. California has a law that deems all animals not specifically listed as legal under State law as being illegal by default. Until such time as California\'s Department of Fish and Game is willing to consider hedgehogs for legal status, they will continue to be considered contraband pets and may be confiscated and either moved out of state or destroyed.

Georgia
    For some time the State of Georgia was unclear on their attitude toward hedgehogs. Unfortunately, recent clarification has deemed them illegal. It seems they are concerned that escaped pet animals may set up a resident wild population. Oddly enough, licensed breeders are allowed, but any hedgehogs sold as pets must be shipped out of state.

Hawaii
    Due to the risk of hedgehogs being capable of surviving in the wilds of these Pacific islands, hedgehogs are illegal throughout the state and are confiscated whenever they are found.

Pennsylvania
    A very unfortunate political battle has developed within the State of Pennsylvania making hedgehogs illegal to the point where threats have been made against even the transport of hedgehogs through the state on the way to another state. All of this is the result of an initial (and unusual) law established in the 1990\'s. Under that law, hedgehogs within the state were legal, but it was illegal to import fresh bloodlines into the state. A few breeders violated that law resulting in the Pennsylvania Game Commission (PGC) declaring all out war on all hedgehogs within the state. Breeder\'s homes have been raided and their hedgehogs confiscated with all of the zeal of a major drug bust. Suffice it to say, owning a hedgehog in Pennsylvania under the draconian rule of PGC is extremely dangerous for both owner and hedgehog.

Municipalities Where Hedgehogs are Illegal:

The 5 Boroughs of New York City
    Douglas County, Nebraska.
    Windsor, Ontario
    Langley, British Columbia

Wow, the arizona one is kind of over the top as is the PA one. Only one i understand is the Hawaii one. Actually, would a hedgehog be able to survive in arizona or is it too cold at night?

I think a hedgie could probably survive in the Phoenix/Tuscon area, but they\'d have to find someplace deep to survive the heat in summer and find someplace a bit warm for the winter. It\'s possible though not likely.
    Hedgie hugs...Tiffany