Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How do the African hedgies survive?

Re:How do the African hedgies survive?

I have had a few false hibernation scares when the temp in my room fell below 70 degrees. Temperature is very very important. You dont want to mess with False Hibernation - if you dont find them in time and heat them up their bodies will shut down and they can die.
    Julie Pierce
    Pierce\\\'s Pogs
    www.piercespogs.com

aislinsadia wrote:
    My personal experience with hedgehogs has been that they are not as sensitive as everyone makes them out to be, and have done just fine in cooler temperatures- but nothing below 50F.
    Absolutely not. At 50F a hedgehog will go into false hibernation and decline quickly.I\'ve seen many hedgehogs go into hibernation at 70F (young and old) and even some older ones go into hibernation at 75F.

Temperature is not something to mess with for an African Pygmy hedgehog. Tenrecs, European hedgehogs, and maybe some other kinds of hedgehogs can hibernate properly at lower temps, but the APH (the only hedgehog in the US pet industry) must be kept warm.

-K
    Kelly Sosik-Hamor
    Hamor Hollow Hedgehogs, a New Hampshire breeder
    Do you want to buy a baby Hedgehog? Ask me if they are available |
    Hedgehog World

Of course I do not keep my hedgehogs that cold. And of course I don\'t mess with temperature just to see how they react, or do not care about how it affects them. I was only giving a n example, not trying to say a definite \"this is how I have kept them at sometimes\", which is certainly not implied. This summer\'s temperatures have gone through quite a range, sometimes in the mid 90\'s, where they are a little slow but nothing drastic, to down in the low 60\'s, which sometimes they stuck in their fleece and sometimes they have actually wheeled all night and ate just fine.

I know that you have to tell me what you think is best because you probably believe that I am not taking care of them straight and I would be worried similarly, but please don\'t assume- it gets frustrating. Questions are better received by those who are communicating.

I\'m sure they\'re not thinking that you do not care for your hedgehog. Maybe you didn\'t mean how that statement came across - but there are many people who come onto the board and lurk - those are the ones that we have to make sure get safe answers...and, \"My personal experience with hedgehogs has been that they are not as sensitive as everyone makes them out to be, and have done just fine in cooler temperatures- but nothing below 50F.\"
    comes across as very unsafe. Just think about how a newbie could take that.
    :S That\'s why it was jumped on, please don\'t take it as a personal attack.
    Terrapin Hedgehogs in MD Serving all of the mid-Atlantic and beyond!|
    Hedgehog World

aislinsadia wrote:
    I know that you have to tell me what you think is best because you probably believe that I am not taking care of them straight and I would be worried similarly, but please don\'t assume- it gets frustrating. Questions are better received by those who are communicating.
    At no point did I say that you weren\'t taking care of your hedgehog. I was actually, as Stasi correctly assumed, making a blanket statement for anyone who is coming here to learn about hedgehogs. I do not want a newbie to think that it is ok for an APH to be exposed to temps below 70F.

I do realize that the outside temps are fluctuating, however APHs need to be kept inside the house and warm. Generally homes don\'t get much cooler then 65 degrees, and if they do get that cool the owner needs to look into some type of external heat source in order to properly take care of the animal.

I am not making any assumptions about the care you are giving your animal. However if your hedgehog is being exposed to temps lower them 70F, please look into purchasing an external heat source.

-K
    Kelly Sosik-Hamor
    Hamor Hollow Hedgehogs, a New Hampshire breeder
    Do you want to buy a baby Hedgehog? Ask me if they are available |
    Hedgehog World

aislinsadia,
    Because your post was in natural history not care, I figured you were talking theoretically about temperature. However, I was also concerned that someone new to hedgehogs or new to the forum would read it and take it the wrong way. Hibernation attempts can be scary and I would not want somebody to have to go through that unnecessarily.
    Ann
    Ann
    Connecticut Hedgehogs
    A USDA licensed African pygmy hedgehog breeder located in CT. We serve the tri-state area of CT, New York State and NJ as well as Western MA (and anywhere else you happen to be) Visit our website for more information

CThogs wrote:
    Because your post was in natural history not care, I figured you were talking theoretically about temperature. However, I was also concerned that someone new to hedgehogs or new to the forum would read it and take it the wrong way. Hibernation attempts can be scary and I would not want somebody to have to go through that unnecessarily.
    Agreed; I started the thread in natural history for that reason; I was wondering about how they could survive in the wild, while knowing full well that we have to keep our little ones nice and warm (but not too warm).

I wonder if hibernation attempts that might occur in the wild are one of the reasons that captive hedgies are reported to have longer lifespans than their wild counterparts.
    --> Satin Mirranda Hufflepuff <--
    --> Tex Buckaroo Hufflepuff <--

hi hi!

i live in South Africa, with Ms Oreo Cookie my 13 week old hedgie bum. well its quite straight forward. because theyre born here, their parents and gran parents born here(through generations), theyre accustomed to the heat and the cold here. in the winter a simple foil heating pad and ONE fleece blankie works perfect, and during our hot summers obviously no heating pad, but just enough room to splat out - an area not covered in fleece - and enough water available with good air flow through the hedgies home. IF it gets a bit too hot then all you do is put a tall bucket filled with ice in the hedgies closed home. thats it. natural aircon. a tall bucket/container so that hedgie bum doesnt climb in and maybe drown. just keep replacing melted ice. stop the ice supply at like late afternoon when YOU can feel a drop in temperature. some summer nights are a bit chilly, then all thats done is an extra blankie is supplied or if the night feels really cold then you just put the foil heating pad on for the night but then put it off in the morning because day time temperatures are hot enough.
    - -_Miss Oreo Cookie says "come to the Dark Side, We have Cookie". . . silly hedgehog, the "dark side" is only your pouch, and YOU ARE the Cookie_- -