Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MY HEDGEHOG DOESN\'T LIKE MEALWORMS!

MY HEDGEHOG DOESN\'T LIKE MEALWORMS!

OK so is something wrong with my little guy because he seems to be the ONLY hedgehog that doesn\'t like mealworms???

I\'ve just tried the small sized, should I get bigger?

Re:MY HEDGEHOG DOESN\'T LIKE MEALWORMS!

Nope, there are plenty of hedgers that don\'t like mealies!

Keep offering them to your hedgie every few days. Sometimes it takes them awhile before they decide they like something.
    Ann
    Connecticut Hedgehogs
    A USDA licensed African pygmy hedgehog breeder located in CT. We serve the tri-state area of CT, New York State and NJ as well as Western MA (and anywhere else you happen to be) Visit our website for more information

mine doesn\'t....he will only eat cat food and his fav in the mix is kitten chow.

Senior Member Hedgehogmadhatter's Avatar

DON\'T waste your money on more mealies. If he doesn\'t like them, another size won\'t help. It\'s okay if he won\'t eat them. It\'s not a big deal.

Your hedgehog sounds young and sometimes the young ones won\'t take to mealworms at first. Give him a week or two and try again. If your mealies are alive, just put their container in the fridge and they will \'sleep\' and keep for a while until your little one decides he might like them. And if he never likes them, don\'t worry about it. Hedgehogs are like people. Each one is different. B)

~Sara
    There's no love like HEDGEHOG LOVE!

I used to have lizards and I didn\'t want to waste any mealies so if you want to keep them for a while: once a week take them out of the fridge ,take a slice of potato, and put it on the top of the mealworm stuff, cover \'em up and leave them over night or twenty four hours or even up to two days. Then take out the potato (Sometimes it is buried) and put them back in the fridge!!
    They have to be fed occasionally so they will live longer.

Nope its fine, a lot of hedgies don\'t like mealies.

Post edited by: HappyHedgie8, at: 2008/03/13 15:22

Keep trying to offer them though. Maybe your hedgie just doesn\'t realize they are food yet. I know that when I first offered mealies to my hedgie she just kinda sniffed them and walked away. Now she can\'t get enough of them!

Milo doesn\'t like mealies either. Just turns his nose up and walks away. Allie however loves them. Its wierd how two hedgies can be so different.

LORI611 wrote:
    I used to have lizards and I didn\'t want to waste any mealies so if you want to keep them for a while: once a week take them out of the fridge ,take a slice of potato, and put it on the top of the mealworm stuff, cover \'em up and leave them over night or twenty four hours or even up to two days. Then take out the potato (Sometimes it is buried) and put them back in the fridge!!
    They have to be fed occasionally so they will live longer.
    Awesome advice!! I will try that for a while just in case he decides later on that he likes them. Thanks!