Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: MY HEDGEHOG DOESN\'T LIKE MEALWORMS!

Re:MY HEDGEHOG DOESN\'T LIKE MEALWORMS!

Hedgehogmadhatter wrote:
    DON\'T waste your money on more mealies. If he doesn\'t like them, another size won\'t help. It\'s okay if he won\'t eat them. It\'s not a big deal.

Your hedgehog sounds young and sometimes the young ones won\'t take to mealworms at first. Give him a week or two and try again. If your mealies are alive, just put their container in the fridge and they will \'sleep\' and keep for a while until your little one decides he might like them. And if he never likes them, don\'t worry about it. Hedgehogs are like people. Each one is different. B)

~Sara
    Yes he/she is...I\'ve only him for three weeks or so and of the two that I had to choose from he was about half the size so I assume he is still young. I\'ll get some pictures up very soon to share with everyone!

Thanks for all the replies....this is my first hedgehog so all I know is what I have read.

Pictures soon to come!

Yeah Cotton wouldn\'t eat mealies at first either! It took her awhile to get used to them... I\'m thinking maybe she didn\'t even know she could eat them at first :laugh: . But eventually... her pogacious instincts settled in and she learned .

Hey thanks everyone....OH! and I finally got a pic up of my little knuckles

When I first got my hedgehog he was about 4 months old and he loved mealworms (I buy the freeze dried ones because live just kind of gross me out a little). Now that he's a bit older (closer to 9 months now), he doesn't like them? He'll sniff them and take a bite, but then spits them out. Is there something wrong with the worms? Or do you think I might have better luck if I try live worms? I'm willing to buy what I have to to make sure he gets the right kind of nutrition.... because right now all he wants to eat is his cat food and I know he should have some sort of insects in his diet (and he ignores crickets). Thank you for your help!

out of all our hedgies we have one who will eat mealies and she's overweight so doesn't get them anyways. If your baby won't eat them it's no big deal they aren't extremely neccasary.
    mom to:

Mace, Farha, Odette, Rosalind, Beatrice, Heidi and other retirees and rescues.

FOLLOW ME ON FACEBOOK AND MYSPACE

Quote Originally Posted by Chaotic View Post
    out of all our hedgies we have one who will eat mealies and she's overweight so doesn't get them anyways. If your baby won't eat them it's no big deal they aren't extremely neccasary.

Is there something else I should try to put into his diet then? He wants absolutely nothing to do with freeze-dried crickets.... but shouldn't he have some sort of insect since hedgehogs are insectivores by nature?

Administrator
    http://www.hedgehogworld.com/content...rt-of-the-Diet There is an article about insects. It gives some options for insects to try, as well as nutritional info.
    Becca

Meal worms

Hedgimond didn't like mealies last week but after reading this post I tried again and he sucked them right up. Like previous posters I just keep them in the fridge so they stay dormant until he eats them. He did spit out part of the shell that was black. I guess he likes them fresh.

Mealworms don't really serve any purpose in a hedgehog's diet: it's like giving potato chips. What they eat in the wild is largely beetles. They get fiber from the beetle chitin. In captivity, this can be substituted with plant sources of fiber, like grains, fruit, veggies, oatmeal, etc... So, there's lots of things you can try to add to his diet, that are good for him.