Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Bigger Better Hedgehog Fest?

Re:Bigger Better Hedgehog Fest?

Julie Pierce wrote:
    I think $10 entrance fee is doable. Maybe a discount if you register a lot of hedgies....like $10.00 per hedgehog, if you register 3-4 they could be $8 each, 5-6 $5 each??
    I TOTALLY agree with Julie, I could see asking $10 for one or two hedgies, but if someone has more - it\'s a bit too much.
    I like the $5 each for more than 5 hedgies.
    I brought 8 hedgies last time, and was planning/hoping on bringing more to this show, but we shall see! Either way, I can\'t wait! It was such a fun day.

Nicole
    ~Nicole
    www.pricklypairhedgehogs.net
    USDA Licensed Breeder & Hedgehog Slave

The only way to do a ribbon for every entry is to require pre-registration and have a cut off at a certain number of hedgies. It is do-able, but most people don\'t want to pre-register. They do that at ferret shows, you have to pre-register, there is a limit of 20 per category, and it\'s $20/ ferret to enter with no discount for multiples, and sponsoring a category runs you $400 - $700.

Do other animal shows have discounts for multiples? Can someone show me a link to prices? I definitely want to see what other groups charge.

I also don\'t want to seem mean to the breeders with multiple hedgehogs, but the more hedgehogs you enter ultimately the better chances you have of taking home multiple ribbons. I\'m not sure it\'s fair to the people with only one hedgehog to allow those with multiples to get a discount and potentially take away a ribbon from someone who is paying more. I also looked at the websites for other hedgehog shows and they do not have any multiple hedgehog discounts. Their prices are less overall (or were, the sites are out dated by 1-3 years) but their ribbon package is less grand (like about 1/4th of the cost of ours, not to mention the potential trophies).

To make a long story short, about 80% of our enteries are from breeders with multiple hedgehogs. I can\'t cover ribbons and trophies on $5 entry fees. And there are lots of other fees the need to be covered as well. Offering a cheep ribbon package is not an option for me.

K

Post edited by: HamorHollow, at: 2008/07/05 19:06
    Kelly Sosik-Hamor
    Hamor Hollow Hedgehogs, a New Hampshire breeder
    Do you want to buy a baby Hedgehog? Ask me if they are available |
    Hedgehog World

HamorHollow wrote:
    The only way to do a ribbon for every entry is to require pre-registration and have a cut off at a certain number of hedgies. It is do-able, but most people don\'t want to pre-register. They do that at ferret shows, you have to pre-register, there is a limit of 20 per category, and it\'s $20/ ferret to enter with no discount for multiples, and sponsoring a category runs you $400 - $700.

Do other animal shows have discounts for multiples? Can someone show me a link to prices? I definitely want to see what other groups charge.

I also don\'t want to seem mean to the breeders with multiple hedgehogs, but the more hedgehogs you enter ultimately the better chances you have of taking home multiple ribbons. I\'m not sure it\'s fair to the people with only one hedgehog to allow those with multiples to get a discount and potentially take away a ribbon from someone who is paying more. I also looked at the websites for other hedgehog shows and they do not have any multiple hedgehog discounts. Their prices are less overall (or were, the sites are out dated by 1-3 years) but their ribbon package is less grand (like about 1/4th of the cost of ours, not to mention the potential trophies).

To make a long story short, about 80% of our enteries are from breeders with multiple hedgehogs. I can\'t cover ribbons and trophies on $5 entry fees. And there are lots of other fees the need to be covered as well. Offering a cheep ribbon package is not an option for me.

K<br><br>Post edited by: HamorHollow, at: 2008/07/05 19:06
    I see where you are coming from, because if every hedgie is to get a ribbon, then every hedgie needs to pay the same price.

I have another question... I am debating on just going and not entering Tweetle, and going and entering him. If I just come to watch, to I have to pay the fee? Not that it is an issue, just curious!

~Felicia

HappyHedgie8 wrote:
    I have another question... I am debating on just going and not entering Tweetle, and going and entering him. If I just come to watch, to I have to pay the fee? Not that it is an issue, just curious!

~Felicia
    There is a fee at the door for all humans. It won\'t be a lot, and will probably be determined by our hosts. You can come and just watch if you want to, but participating is much more fun. There are also the \'Hedgehog Games\' which are listed on http://www.hedgehogfest.com/ and are a lot of fun. Flat ribbons are given for 1st through 6th place. They will probably be $5/ hedgehog for all 4 events.
    Kelly Sosik-Hamor
    Hamor Hollow Hedgehogs, a New Hampshire breeder
    Do you want to buy a baby Hedgehog? Ask me if they are available |
    Hedgehog World

I am interested in coming to the hedgehog fest and I will need information on the hotel as I am coming from out of state. I will be bringing my hedgie but I am not sure about the games or contests in terms of what is required. I dont mind paying an admission fee and I would like to buy a tee shirt for myself and my hubby if that is possible. I also dont mind just watching and having my hedgie there just to have others meet him, so to speak. I am flexible.

Andrea

... I am debating on just going and not entering Tweetle, and going and entering him.
    I also dont mind just watching and having my hedgie there just to have others meet him
    . You can come and just watch if you want to, but participating is much more fun.
    If you are going to come with a hedgehog, you should participate in the games and the show. You will have more fun:woohoo: and it is not stressful for you or the hedgehog. You are at the table with the others in the class so it is not like you are in the spotlight and the judge explains the differences between the hedgehogs so you may also gain some useful info about your hedgehog. Just my opinion, but it is not something to worry too much about.
    Ann
    Connecticut Hedgehogs
    A USDA licensed African pygmy hedgehog breeder located in CT. We serve the tri-state area of CT, New York State and NJ as well as Western MA (and anywhere else you happen to be) Visit our website for more information

HamorHollow wrote:

K<br><br>Post edited by: HamorHollow, at: 2008/07/05 19:06
    I can see your point. It isn\'t fair to the ones that bring their own hedgies and pay a higher price. I guess my point is that I\'m already sponsoring a category for $200, and if you want more hedgies in the show for numbers I can\'t afford to pay another $100 for ten hedgies. So I\'d only be bringing one or two which would be fine with me (easier to travel with!), so I\'ll leave it up to you what you want to do!
    ~Nicole

Okay -

I did a quick little search.
    Some dog shows will charge less for over three dogs entered, I saw one for $24 entry fee $14 for additional entries. Others don\'t.
    Dog show fees are considerably more, but most provide a banquet or some sort of \"hospitality\" thing in the evening.
    I used to belong to the Cheshire Kennel Club - and I know the fees were high, and they didn\'t give discounts to mutiple entries, but they provided a luncheon and a dinner banquet for all the breeders (not the private owners of one animal). Not that I want you to do that-it was boring and a lot of work!
    Looked up rabbit shows - entry fees for most are $3-$5. I did see one that had a \"kennel\" fee. Unlimited entries for a flat rate - for the bunnies it was $25.
    Looked at some ferrets too, and it looks the same as what you had mentioned.
    So basically different shows do different things, so it\'s all up to you!
    I just can\'t afford to sponsor AND enter more than one or two hedgies. If others can do both - great!
    ~Nicole

Ann at CT hogs has convinced me to enter Spikey in whatever kinds of activities are available. I like the idea of listening to somebody comment on Spikey and possibly learning more about hedgies and how they differ or are similar. I am a total newbie and this is my first hedgie. So that makes me excited to learn as much as I can. And I have never been to Boston, so I am also excited about that.

An excited hedgie mommy tourist:woohoo:

Andrea
    Spikey\'s mommy

The show is very fun and people definitely shouldnt feel nervous about entering or feeling that their hedgie isnt prepared or wont show well, etc. It really is all in fun and the hedgies do crazy things when they are on the table (ie running down the table, taking a poop, climbing up their owners, etc) so its all very entertaining. The last show, Tig the judge, did a fantastic job describing how she chose the winner of each group, what she was looking for, etc so it was very educational. So it really is no stress just all in fun
    Julie Pierce
    Pierce\\\'s Pogs
    www.piercespogs.com