Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Litter training tips please!!

Another idea would be to get coated paper plates,cut them to fit under the wheel and just place a papertowel in it to soak up the urine. Or....if you can find them you can use those throw away trays that they use in cafeterias

hedgehog123
    I dont have a hedgehog(yet) but if you have a large enough cage a ferret litter pan works and cat litter (nonclumping) and put droppings or a smalll towel w.his urine on it

hedgehog123
    http://smallanimalchannel.com
    This place has tips!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Erizo View Post
    This thread was made 2 years ago and it still lives?
    It's a Zombie.... or maybe a vampire........ Halloween is getting close!

K
    Kelly Sosik-Hamor
    Hamor Hollow Hedgehogs, a New Hampshire breeder
    Do you want to buy a baby Hedgehog? Ask me if they are available |
    Hedgehog World

And the thread lives on yet again!

I am all over the place! I feel like I have read this whole site. I think I have my heat questions answered, time to move on to bedding!

So i think I will try the Yesterday's News under my CSWheel and try and litter train the little chickie I am getting by transporting poo to the pan so she gets the right idea....but what goes on the bottom of the Sterilite? More Yesterday's News? Or do you guys put fleece? Then doesn't that have to be washed like ALL THE TIME?

Hello Paper Doll! I've been watching the convo about heating sterilite bins too as I just got Marisol over a week ago and it can get pretty cold here in the winter! Lots of helpful stuff there.

Just to give you a bit of an idea of what I have experienced so far...I did get fleece to line the bin with. I just bought a few cheap fleece blankets and cut them to fit the bottom. I put two layers, but nothing special beyond that! Marisol seems to be totally cool with this and I have found it very easy to maintain. I wash every third day, but I believe you could just make that twice a week depending on how messy your hedgie is. I really like the fleece. If you get a light-colored fabric for your top layer, messes should be pretty apparent when they happen.

As far as the litter box goes, I have found that Marisol only uses her wheel and the box itself (unless she decides to give me an...um, "present", when we play in the morning LOL...it's not that bad). I have Carefresh Ultra in my box but am considering trying Yesterday's News since I think it's a bit less costly. I do have a CSWheel and the pan that came with it catches everything. Obviously, if your hedgie ends up messing in various places in the bin then that might make the fleece a hassle.

Marisol is quilling right now, so I can't say if she will remain as neat when she's gotten through that and has more energy! So far, my typical morning consists of about a grand total of two minutes using unscented baby wipes to get the poops/pee out of the wheel and changing her Carefresh. Hopefully your baby will just take to it like mine has! Good luck!

Paper Doll, I forgot to add that if you go with the fleece liners just make sure your hedgie has somewhere to burrow. I actually used some fleece scraps from the blankets I cut under an igloo for Marisol at first. Right now I have some piled up at the back of the bin and some inside of one of those big ferret cuddle bags you can get at pet stores. For some reason she seems to prefer the fleece scraps in the cuddle bag to fleece scraps under the igloo. Just make sure there's something they can burrow into. They like it like that.

So you have an igloo AND cuddle bags? i-i-i-i-i-interesting

Thanks! Super helpful!
    I have heard great things about Yesterday's News so I'm gonna try that. Maybe I will go for the fleece too. People do so many different things I just have a million questions

I ordered everything I need so hopefully it will all be here in time for my hedgie's arrival home!