Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is my hedgehog pregnant????? HELP!!

Is my hedgehog pregnant????? HELP!!

We bought our female hedgehog last week from a pet shop, she was very tame at first but over the last few days she has got very aggressive she bit me three times last night, her poo smells really bad, she has gained 2oz in a week, she\'s eating alot, she\'s really restless and her teats are showing.
    I also found a bit of blood in her cage a couple of days ago.
    I have been in touch with the pet shop we bought her from and they don\'t know if she was housed with a male before being brought to the pet shop!!
    Linzi.
    Rocky the chocolate hedgie
    Missy the grumpy hedgie

Re:Is my hedgehog pregnant????? HELP!!

It is very possible that your hedgehog is pregnant if you purchased her from a pet store. Many are! The blood that you saw a few days ago is what concerns me though. Normally a pregnant hedgehog doesn\'t bleed until she is having the babies. How much blood was there and was it a bright red or more of a brown color? Did you only see it the once? How long have you had her and do you have any idea how old she is?
    Hedgehogs in Washington State
    www.bloominhedgehogs.com
    www.bloominhedgehogsproducts.com
    Products for your pet hedgehog including fleece and colorful bucket wheels. Tina

Thanks for the quick reply!
    There wasn\'t much blood there was just a streak about 1 1/2 inch long, it was a brownish colour but it had dried. She\'s only lost blood once which was yesterday.
    We have had her 10days and she\'s aproximately 12months.
    She weighs 1lb 7oz is that normal?
    Linzi.
    Missy the grumpy hedgie

At this point I would assume she is pregnant. 680 grams is a pretty large hedgehog but you\'ve had her such a short period of time that its hard to say if that is normal or not for her.

Read this article http://www.hedgehogworld.com/content/view/44/42/ and treat her like she is going to deliver soon

Take out the wheel and give her some nesting materials like toilet paper. Keep an eye on the bleeding but try not to disturb her unless she is up and about out of her nesting area. There was no bleeding since yesterday right?

You basically want to give her some space so that she can deliver babies peacefully if she is pregnant and at the same time make sure the bleeding is not still going on if she\'s not.

You may want to read the other posts in this category-you\'re not th only one who\'s had to go through this
    Ann
    Connecticut Hedgehogs
    A USDA licensed African pygmy hedgehog breeder located in CT. We serve the tri-state area of CT, New York State and NJ as well as Western MA (and anywhere else you happen to be) Visit our website for more information

Thanks for the reply, there hasn\'t been any bleeding since yesterday so fingers crossed everything will be ok.
    Linzi.
    Missy the grumpy hedgie

Fingers crossed

If you don\'t have a vet yet, you may want to ask around or make a few phone calls just in case, but just watching and waiting is probably best for now
    Ann
    Connecticut Hedgehogs
    A USDA licensed African pygmy hedgehog breeder located in CT. We serve the tri-state area of CT, New York State and NJ as well as Western MA (and anywhere else you happen to be) Visit our website for more information

I agree with Ann, you should find a vet that will see hedgehogs. It is not fun trying to find one when there is a problem. Hopefully you won\'t need one, but if you do, you are prepared!

If the pet store said that they don\'t know if she was around a male....she probably was. Unless they have one cage that is always for females and one always for males, then they probably don\'t care.

On another note, she is big, but I have a couple of hefty hedgies that are just big...not pregnant...just very fluffy! Hopefully that is what you have.

I would treat her as if she was pregnant also. This site has some awesome information and some of the people on this site helped me through more than one nightmare.

My one tip would be to listen for peeps before lifting the igloo! Good luck with your girl!
    Hedgehogs in Washington State
    www.bloominhedgehogs.com
    www.bloominhedgehogsproducts.com
    Products for your pet hedgehog including fleece and colorful bucket wheels. Tina

Thanks for all the advice its really apreciated!
    I\'ve placed some pieces of toilet roll in her cage last night (as ann suggested) and as soon as she spotted it she picked it up and ran off into her bed with it.
    I will definately look into vets but as i live in england no one really knows much about pygmy hedgehogs as their fairly new to the pet trade.
    Linzi.
    Missy the grumpy hedgie

Keep us updated and let know if/when she has babies. Since you are not an experienced breeder, you may have questions after the babies are born. Don\'t feel shy to jump in and ask questions. Everyone is here to help you!

Pixie
    Pixies Exotic HEDGEHOGS: www.PixiesExoticHedgies.webs.com
    SOFT CLAWS nail caps for Cats & Dogs: www.PixiePets.com
    CRUZIN ANGELZ ~ Good Girlz Gone Biker: www.FemBikers.meetup.com/171

i have no idea if your hedgie is pregnet or not but is it true hedgies go through heat like dogs
    YES I KNOW I CANT SPELL!!!!
    My motto:

Don\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t mess in the affairs of dragons
    For you are crunchy & good with ketchup