Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: toilet paper rolls and hedgehogs?

toilet paper rolls and hedgehogs?

Does everyone here let their hedgehogs play with toilet paper rolls?

If you do what is the common practice, just let them play while supervised or leave one in their cage all the time?

I gave Daisy one, and put it in her cage, I heard a lot of noise and banging around upstairs and went up and she had her head and front paw STUCK inside the roll and she could not get out. I was able to tear it off without hurting her but it scared the heck out of me.

I guess from now on I know they are just for supervised playtime in our house, not to be played with while unnatended. We usually just left them in with our rat and never had a problem so I didn\'t think a hedgehog would be any different.
    mom to:

Mace, Farha, Odette, Rosalind, Beatrice, Heidi and other retirees and rescues.

FOLLOW ME ON FACEBOOK AND MYSPACE

Senior Member Hedgehogmadhatter's Avatar

Re:toilet paper rolls and hedgehogs?

I don\'t let my Harley play with them unsupervised but I doubt much harm could come to him. If you are concerned about it you can cut the tube down one side so Daisy has no chance of getting stuck.

:laugh:

~Sara
    There's no love like HEDGEHOG LOVE!

Just take a pair of scissors and cut some slits around the opening of tube on both ends. That way they can enjoy sticking their head in and if they want they can easily remove it.
    Julie Pierce
    Pierce\\\'s Pogs
    www.piercespogs.com

yea, i leave one in mose\'s cage, with the slits cut in, but she is one of the few pogs who seldomly uses them. she\'d rather run on her wheel, or on me, or push her little ball around.

so wierd.

I actually leave my girls with unedited tubes in their cage, since I\'ve watched them pull them off plenty times. I guess it depends on the hedgehog.
    Pets:
    Timmy (M, neutered) and Smokey (F, spayed) the Maine Coon and something else rescue cats.
    Aureus (M) the goldfish.
    Raeka and Reyna (both female) my hedgies!
    Mystique (unknown, called she) the house centipede.
    4 Minnows and some crickets.
    R.I.P. Briar, Pepper, Roslin, and Aragorn.

robosonic wrote:
    I actually leave my girls with unedited tubes in their cage, since I\'ve watched them pull them off plenty times. I guess it depends on the hedgehog.
    I\'ve never had an issue I\'m just too paranoid.

I also leave mine with a tp tube, but I\'ve never seen her use it. She prefers those little paper dixie cups. She walks all around with one of those on her head but the only think she does with a tp tube is step over it.
    Becky and Peanut

We use tp tubes and craft foam tubes. There have been RARE occasions where a hedgie will get stuck, but generally it\'s when they are either still babies, or on the small side. I\'d say 99.5% of the time the hedgehogs are perfectly able to remove the tube from their head if they need/want to. Some just like to keep them in the tubes.
    Terrapin Hedgehogs in MD Serving all of the mid-Atlantic and beyond!|
    Hedgehog World

Aaria wrote:
    I also leave mine with a tp tube, but I\'ve never seen her use it. She prefers those little paper dixie cups. She walks all around with one of those on her head but the only think she does with a tp tube is step over it.
    DIXIE CUPS! That\'s a great idea and I bet Harley would LOVE one. Thanks for the idea. :laugh:

~Sara

[b]Hedgehogmadhatter wrote:
    DIXIE CUPS! That\'s a great idea and I bet Harley would LOVE one. Thanks for the idea. :laugh:

~Sara
    I just bought some empty unused ice cream quart containers from my work and they LOVE them! I cut a little hole in the bottom and they run through them like crazy!
    mom to:

Mace, Farha, Odette, Rosalind, Beatrice, Heidi and other retirees and rescues.

FOLLOW ME ON FACEBOOK AND MYSPACE