Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: toilet paper rolls and hedgehogs?

Re:toilet paper rolls and hedgehogs?

Kozmo has never used the TP roll, with or without slits. He also ignores the plastic cat play balls with bells in them, and only plays with a tiny little plastic bowl after I had put treats in it and he\'s greedily looking for more... He really doesn\'t seem to want to play with anything other then running on his wheel, which he only let me see him do once, all other times when I come into the room late at night and he\'s on it, he looks at me, then extremely nonchalantly walks off the wheel and to his sleeping blanket, as if he hadn\'t been doing anything at all!
    ~Kozmo (hedgehog) ~Juliette (human)

I have an Etsy page! http://www.etsy.com/shop/Vanillabeana

I have hedgehog things on Zazzle! http://www.zazzle.com/vanillabeana/h...t=date_created

Most of ours don\'t let us see them use the wheel either. Forrest will he doesn\'t care. If he\'s awake he\'s running or being a grump.
    mom to:

Mace, Farha, Odette, Rosalind, Beatrice, Heidi and other retirees and rescues.

FOLLOW ME ON FACEBOOK AND MYSPACE

Jednine wrote:
    Kozmo has never used the TP roll, with or without slits. He also ignores the plastic cat play balls with bells in them, and only plays with a tiny little plastic bowl after I had put treats in it and he\'s greedily looking for more... He really doesn\'t seem to want to play with anything other then running on his wheel, which he only let me see him do once, all other times when I come into the room late at night and he\'s on it, he looks at me, then extremely nonchalantly walks off the wheel and to his sleeping blanket, as if he hadn\'t been doing anything at all!
    Imagine a room full of wheeling hedgehogs, pitter pattering away....Turn on the light and every single one instantly stops, looks over at you, and either gets off the wheel, or will just sit there staring, as if to say \'yeess??!!??\'
    It gets you giggling every single time, and never gets old!!
    Terrapin Hedgehogs in MD Serving all of the mid-Atlantic and beyond!|
    Hedgehog World

Chaotic
    Most of ours don\'t let us see them use the wheel either.
    Stasi
    Imagine a room full of wheeling hedgehogs, pitter pattering away....Turn on the light and every single one instantly stops, looks over at you, and either gets off the wheel, or will just sit there staring, as if to say \'yeess??!!??\'

lol, well it\'s good to know it is not just my little guy! But he does this even when I have no lights on and try to sneak in... I swear I take showers so I don\'t think my scent would be that strong!
    ~Kozmo (hedgehog) ~Juliette (human)

I have an Etsy page! http://www.etsy.com/shop/Vanillabeana

I have hedgehog things on Zazzle! http://www.zazzle.com/vanillabeana/h...t=date_created

Tweetle loves TP tubes, but I hate leaving them in his cage over night because he completely DESTROYS it!! It is a pretty small cage (30x18) so you can see how he doesn\'t have much room to run around without crashing and smashing. I let him play with it during the day. I would leave it in the cage overnight, but it is just too much clean up.

~Felicia

I\'m too paranoid to leave the tp tube in the cage overnight, even with the slits cut. I know there probably isn\'t any chance that she will hurt herself. But I just feel better if I don\'t.

Oh Omelette won\'t let me see her running in her wheel either. There has been only one time I\'ve caught her doing it. Most of the time she stops, gives me the hedgehog death stare, and walks over to her igloo. There she patiently waits until I turn the lights off, when she can go at it again. It does make me laugh every time though!
    \\\"It is not one swallow or one fine day that makes a spring\\\" - Aristotle (384 BCE - 322 BCE)

i used dixie-cups too, and an old, empty oatmeal container, with the bottom cut out. it\'s like a little tunnel for her. and i like to hide mealies in the cups (i have two sizes) for her to find later on in the day, while i\'m at work

I wouldn't leave a tp tube in there all the time, especially if your hedgie is still young. My little guy, Gilligan, loved his roll and when I got him he was small enough to crawl through it. Now he's about 4 months old and too big to crawl through, but still likes to play with it (so cute when he picks it up and carries it around his cage). I came home from work late the other night (around midnight) and found him stuck in his tube. I have no idea how long he was like that, but he wasn't moving and I thought he was dead. I picked him up and couldn't pull the tube off so I cut it off instead. He immediately reanimated and started moving around.
    There was definite evidence of him trying to escape, as the edge of the toilet paper tube was torn up from his back feet. In his efforts to escape though, he also scratched himself up a good bit. I've been applying neosporin and keeping a close watch on him. He seems to be relatively unaffected by his ordeal, he's just a little more jumpy than usual. His wound is healing nicely with no signs of infection. I will however have to find a different toy for him, cause he is not getting another toilet paper tube till he it much larger.

Yes, it is good to supervise tubing because of what stkii described. This can happen so it is best to be careful.

update...

Gill seems to be just fine now. His scab is starting to fall off and there is still no sign of infection... he really doesn't like it when i check though.
    I brought home some massive toilet paper tubes from work.... I can wear these on my arm.... we'll see if he likes them, my next attempt will be a pringles tube.