Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Making my own food mix

Since they orignaly ate insects,isn't there something out there that is made up of mostly insects?
    I just got my first hedgie and she is a 6mo albino or a white something else,lol she is also very grumpy and this is understandable since she was in with a male and I believe she may be pregnant but not sure how to tell if she is.I know that they can get pregnant at the age of 8wks but IS NOT RECOMMENDED until they are at least 6mo's but she came from a pet store and the owner didn't have a clue that they could get pregnant that early.I found this out by my internet research and she was in with what the owner called a silver male sooo maybe some type of pinto if she is pregnant and I will accept and love each one of them babies if it turns out she is pregnant.Hey why not catch crickets and other bugs and grind them up and see if they like that concoction?just a thought,messy but if they like it what the heck.Prickles 1 new owner

.Hey why not catch crickets and other bugs and grind them up and see if they like that concoction?just a thought,messy but if they like it what the heck.Prickles 1 new owne
    Don't use bugs from outside-they can have bacteria etc that you dont want to introduce to your hedgehog
    Ann
    Connecticut Hedgehogs
    A USDA licensed African pygmy hedgehog breeder located in CT. We serve the tri-state area of CT, New York State and NJ as well as Western MA (and anywhere else you happen to be) Visit our website for more information

My food mix is:

Purina One Beyond
    Solid Gold Katz n' Flocken
    Natural Balance Original Ultra

I also add in Royal Canin Babycat 34 for Moms and babies.

Technically, in the wild hedgehogs did eat some insects, but they also ate carrion, eggs, frogs, snakes, lizards, etc. Insectivore may be their classification, but they were definitely opportunistic insectivores. Please don't feed just insects. The store bought kind would be what you would have to get - and most of those are full of fat.
    If you have mealworms, you can do what I used to do and grind up the beetle shells after they have 'expired' - and dust their food with that.
    Terrapin Hedgehogs in MD Serving all of the mid-Atlantic and beyond!|
    Hedgehog World