Thread: Wild Hedgehogs Kept in Captivity

Wild Hedgehogs Kept in Captivity

\"Physiological Response of the European Hedgehog to Predator and Nonpredator Odour.\"

By: Jane F. Ward, David, W. MacDonald, C. Patrick Doncaster, and Christian Mauget.

This article mainly focuses on the response European Hedgehogs demonstrate against the scent of a predator and a non-predator. In this case, the predator is a badger and the non-predator is a deer. The conclusion of the study indicates that hedgehogs kept in captivity have a less acute physiological reaction towards predators, whereas a recently caught hedgehog tends to have a more acute sense of danger. Therefore, I would say wild hedgehogs kept in captivity are prone to assimilating a life where they are desensitized to predators and are more exposed to dangers inherent in the wild.

My question is, are our African Pygmy hedgehogs becoming more and more desensitized to the environment? I think this article provides encouragement for us to expose our hedgehogs to as many smells as we can; especially when they\'re young.

Although this article was published in 1996, I don\'t think much has changed. Therefore, I hope this increases hedgehog-awareness. Keeping them captive and then letting them out into the wild is dangerous and can cost them their lives!

Re:Wild Hedgehogs Kept in Captivity

It\'s definitely true, raising wild animals for release is a very risky task, and it requires much experience. I would say that being desensitized to the environment is one of the factors that make our hedgehog friends much more comfortable in their homes. Socializing them is getting them used to you. The only danger I can think of, is other pets. My girls are pretty used to other animals (well, they did live at Laura\'s), so the cats don\'t really bother them. Due to the fact Smokey sometimes gets too curious, I like to keep her at a safe distance from the hedgies, because they don\'t huff up if she paws at them.
    Pets:
    Timmy (M, neutered) and Smokey (F, spayed) the Maine Coon and something else rescue cats.
    Aureus (M) the goldfish.
    Raeka and Reyna (both female) my hedgies!
    Mystique (unknown, called she) the house centipede.
    4 Minnows and some crickets.
    R.I.P. Briar, Pepper, Roslin, and Aragorn.

Re:Wild Hedgehogs Kept in Captivity

I\'ve owned hedgehogs for about 14 or 15 years now, and I\'ve been breeding for about 6 years. I\'ve seen a huge difference in the hedgehogs that we have now compared to my first hedgehog. There is even a noticeable difference in the babies that are born now as opposed to just 6 years ago.

One of the ways to tell if a hedgehog is fat is to have them curl up in a ball. This is something I demonstrate to all the people who buy hedgehogs from me. When I first started doing this, it was easy to get the hedgehogs to ball up. Now I can put them on their backs, poke them in the nose or belly, and they just look at me like I\'m nuts instead of balling up. They definitely are having the instincts bred out of them.

K

Oh, and I know I\'m nuts, so quiet Becca!
    Kelly Sosik-Hamor
    Hamor Hollow Hedgehogs, a New Hampshire breeder
    Do you want to buy a baby Hedgehog? Ask me if they are available |
    Hedgehog World