Thread: Does anyone own a horse?

Does anyone own a horse?

Does anyone own a horse? I\'m going to get one soon and I was wondering if there was someone that had a horse I could ask for advice. I\'m parinoid and the things animals do thats natural might freak me out and I want to know whats going on. If you can\'t tell, I\'m going to be a first time horse owner as soon as I know enough and we get a place for her.
    YES I KNOW I CANT SPELL!!!!
    My motto:

Don\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t mess in the affairs of dragons
    For you are crunchy & good with ketchup

Super Moderator

Re:Does anyone own a horse?

We have a small herd of them here. Everything from the quarter horses down to Morgan\'s mini and my donkey. They\'re a lot of fun but a LOT of expense and work.
    Laura Tong
    Keeper of the Chaos
    PogStar Hedgehogs and PrairieStar Farm
    www.pogstarhedgehogs.com

Administrator

My family has one or two. Or a dozen. Or 40. Well, close to 40. Until foaling season starts. *whimper* I think we have somewhere around 18 mares bred to foal this spring. My family raises Quarter Horses. I did some updating on the site last week, so you can see more of our bloodlines and colors, but am sadly lacking on the photos department. We have pics of our two studs, and of several of our mares, but am waiting for the weather to start warming up so the fat wooly horses will shed off some of the winter coats so we can get good pictures taken.
    www.shipleyquarterhorses.com
    Becca

Super Moderator

dzmeadows wrote:
    I did some updating on the site last week, so you can see more of our bloodlines and colors, but am sadly lacking on the photos department.
    Becca
    I\'m going to pretend you did that to spare me. I know better though. Bred me any more pretty grullas?
    Laura Tong
    Keeper of the Chaos
    PogStar Hedgehogs and PrairieStar Farm
    www.pogstarhedgehogs.com

Hi, I own a Thoroughbred that my daughter uses for hunter/jumper competition. The 1st thing to do is get your horse thoroughly vetted, so no hidden problems come up later. Even if your vet charges a lot, trust me, it\'s worth it. If your horse goes off later, it will probably cost a lot more.

If you are going to use your horse for riding and don\'t have experience, hire a trainer to make sure he/she is safe. That\'s critical.Once that\'s settled, take riding lessons in whichever discipline you fancy: hunter/jumper, dressage, Western, Saddlebred etc.

If you have any more questions, I would suggest checking out books from the library. You can learn a lot doing that.

Caroline

Why oh why do you need to remind me that your family sells horses. I want a horse! My half lease has been broken for months *sigh* Maybe I can keep one in the garage? whatcha think? Puh-lease can i have a blue roan for my b-day
    http://www.patriotpogs.com
    USDA licensed breeder of happy, healthy and friendly hedgehogs raised in a family environment.

I think every girl wants a horse at one point. If I ever own a farm, or some land, and have the money to own a horse, Missouri is a great state to ride in. Its very horse friendly. There are a lot of active riding clubs for different types of horses too. Me? I just have friends with horses so I can ride.
    My uncle Ed had two: Shamrock and Shaleighly. Shamrock\'s a BIG warm blood who was Shaleighly\'s mom, her son Shaleighly was a Thoroughbreed/ warmblood mix and he\'s all legs, as tall as his mom but way skinnier. Shamrock was very sweet, brave, calm, and easy to ride. Mom says I rode her since I was one. But her son was a spook, he was afraid of puddles, sticks, trees, rocks, and birds in the sky, some times clouds too. lol, but he was still good for trotting along and going fast.

Saddly Shamrock died of kidney stones at age 30, and Shaleighly broke his leg on his drinking water, just when my uncle lost his business. So they had him shot into his grave.
    Mom to Althea the hedgehog, Sophie the pit bull, and Zelda the mouse.

I breed AMHA reg horses. www.whitebirchstables.weebly.com and have a boarding facility. I have worked with almost any discipline so you can always email me. Crimsonzele@yahoo.com
    [b]Laura of ZelesHollowHedgehogs.weebly.com
    Mom to:
    Mackie Zele- My Baby Girly
    Jubilee, Quillson, Bruschi & Brillo-Some Pretty Awesome Hedgies
    Madison & Bumble- Rat Terriers
    Kringle & Houdini- Red Heelers
    Dreaming, Tava, & Miata- 3 Kick Butt Morgans
    and a whole lotta Netherlands and Hollands[

My favorite color too!

aine93 wrote:
    Why oh why do you need to remind me that your family sells horses. I want a horse! My half lease has been broken for months *sigh* Maybe I can keep one in the garage? whatcha think? Puh-lease can i have a blue roan for my b-day

My mother is a horse rider, so, we have three horses now - Lucky Lord, Sir Gera and Ferro. Ferro is my favorite horse, because I mat him, when I was 3 years old. In addition, he is the cleverest horse! HE CAN REED!=))) When we open the book near him, he look in the book and his eyes run on lines! He is black with white star on the forehead.