Thread: Great new book: Hedgehog History, Nostalgia, etc

Great new book: Hedgehog History, Nostalgia, etc

I just picked this book up from the library, I\'ve been looking for a decent book focusing on the European hog and moreso on the history and other aspects of them rather than just keeping them as pets. This book was just written and published in 2008 and so far its witty, interesting, and a good read. The illustrations are also just too adorable. I\'d recommend it to anyone on here looking to learn more about their hoggy\'s relatives:

The Hedgehog\'s Dilemma: A tale of obsession, nostalgia, and the world\'s most charming mammal

[img size=479]http://www.hedgehogworld.com/images/fbfiles/images/HedgehogsDilemma2.jpg[/img]
    Jessica
    Des Plaines, IL

Become a fan of Quentin on Facebook!

Re:Great new book: Hedgehog History, Nostalgia, etc

I am to reading this book. I am not as impressed with it as you are. I find it hard to read and it is more scientific then I was hoping for. It also talks more about the wild European hedgehogs then the domesticated African Pygmy hedgehogs we all know and love. I am on the chapter about the hedgehog olympics. It is the better and easier to understand of the chapters so far. I will let everyone know the final review once I complete the whole book.

P.S. I do have to agree about the pictures in the book. They are pretty cute!
    Erin
    ~Lives in the land of Oz~
    My family:
    Sydney Belle the dapple dachshund
    Mischa Rose the ferret
    Ms. Pickles the hedgehog
    Paige Grace the chihuahua
    Jim the hubby

Ah, well I was looking for a book more about the European ones, and also one more geared towards the scientific type since I like reading in depth scientific articles and am looking into doing my Master\'s on something hedgehog related. So it really hit home for me.
    Jessica
    Des Plaines, IL

Become a fan of Quentin on Facebook!

Re:Great new book: Hedgehog History, Nostalgia, et

I wouldn\'t really say that most of this book is geared towards the scientifically-minded person. I\'ve read the book, and only the first chapter has a lot to do with natural history. The rest is focused on the hedgehog as a symbol in society.

I didn\'t really like the book, and I am very into scientific readings and such.

I\'m really curious now. I guess I\'m going to have to go onto Amazon and see about ordering it.I\'m a quick reader, so once I get it and read it, I will be back with my opinion
    http://www.patriotpogs.com
    USDA licensed breeder of happy, healthy and friendly hedgehogs raised in a family environment.

SeaWorldFan2010 wrote:
    I wouldn\'t really say that most of this book is geared towards the scientifically-minded person. I\'ve read the book, and only the first chapter has a lot to do with natural history. The rest is focused on the hedgehog as a symbol in society.

I didn\'t really like the book, and I am very into scientific readings and such.
    ditto.
    My kids are Sweetie, Harvey the Blondie Bear (hoglets), Llama, and Vlada (toy poodles). RIP Lancik. We miss you so much.

So.. What\'s wrong with the book?