Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hey from Illinois

Hey from Illinois

Hi all, I\'ve been around for awhile but jut got the time to post over here. I\'m from central Illinois and attending the University of Illionis. I\'m an animal science major and will be graduating in 2007 I have a smallish herd of about 30. I do breed and just got some great hogs from HHV. I got my USDA license over the summer Well nice to meet you all

Re:Hey from Illinois

I\'m from the Northwest Burbs of Chicago

Where did you get your hedgie?
    Linda

hedgehogs by Vickie

Meatwad--- I also got my first hedgie from hedgehogs by Vickie. Drove from Michigan to do it. We had her for about a month and she never adjusted, in fact she got meaner and meaner as time progressed. She was actually agressively trying to bite any time I handled her. I ended up traveling to Chicago from Michigan once again to exchange her for our current hedgie, Oliver, who is easier to handle, but still a bit skittish. He does not bite, thank God, but is still a bit timid. We love him to pieces. If I get another hedgie down the road, I think I will travel to Hamor Hollow instead. I think they prepare their babies for their new homes much better than Vickie does. Did you end up buying the wire cage too? I did, and it was tough to clean and started to corrode in places. Oliver is now in a huge guinea pig cage and a whole lot happier.

Linda

Kiwisoo wrote:
    ....... If I get another hedgie down the road, I think I will travel to Hamor Hollow instead. I think they prepare their babies for their new homes much better than Vickie does. Did you end up buying the wire cage too? I did, and it was tough to clean and started to corrode in places. Oliver is now in a huge guinea pig cage and a whole lot happier.

Linda

LOL! Thank you for the compliments. I do try to prepare my babies and give them a lot of socialization, but that doesn\'t always do the trick. Hedgehogs are like people in the sense that that may decide they just don\'t like someone for some ridicules reason.

Usually smell has a lot to do with it. Some hedgehogs are attracted to certain smells and will automatically nip at it. Smoking is one of the biggest offenders, as are garlic and pizza grease. I picked up one of my girls after eating a piece of pizza (with lots of garlic powder) and I got nipped without warning. Sometimes it has to do with the type of laundry detergent you use, perfume, or just your natural scent.

I don\'t know anything about Vicki\'s hedgehogs. She has some nice pintos, but that is all I know. I don\'t like the metal cages she sells, and I disagree with some of the 2nd hand info I\'ve heard she has told people.

Anyway, I would love to meet you if you ever decided to drive out. I can also ship a hedgehog for about $150.

-K
    Kelly Sosik-Hamor
    Hamor Hollow Hedgehogs, a New Hampshire breeder
    Do you want to buy a baby Hedgehog? Ask me if they are available |
    Hedgehog World

I\'ve had a few from Vickie some were great and some are best as breeders only (not really the cuddle up to you type). I do agree she has some nice pintos but I\'ve heard a lot of line breeding went into some of her rarer lines. I had an apricot that was line bred like crazy. I almost wonder if that is the reason for some of her behavior problems?? I wouldn\'t know for sure but I also have to wonder with the amount of hoglets being put out each month if she has time to socialize with them. I personally never want more babies then I can comfortably work with in a night. Just my .02 cents

I\'d come to you rather than have a hedgie shipped. Why traumatize it further, right? And I\'d love to see your facilities there.

I never did figure out the problem with the first hedgie from Vickie. I don\'t smoke, wear lots of perfume, or use smelly detergent because of my daughter\'s allergies. But when I first went to get Pixi, she snapped, crackled and popped in my hands right away, never calmed down, and got worse as time went on. My kids could not touch her. I got bit all the time---it was excessive and it actually seemed as if she was aggressive about it and seeking a place to bite. I checked with Vickie later about her, and she said they were going to keep her for breeding purposes rather than offer her for adoption again. The reason given to me was that she was such a great color and had such a beautiful mask that she would make beautiful babies. I was also told that she was behaving just \"fine\" now that she was back there.

Oliver, as I said, does not bite (so far) ,but is still timid and nervous. He cuddles up to me and will allow others to pet him while I am holding him, but so far that\'s all. He still acts scared when I take him out.

I like your idea about prospective hedgie guardians sending you a piece of used clothing ahead of time so the little one can get used to the new smell before it\'s time to go. That is such a gentle and kind way to transition.

Vickie does not let folks pick up their hedgies at her place. You have to go to a reptile swap on specific days when she will be there. That\'s when you get your hedgie and it\'s really noisy and chaotic. She has very little time to explain very much.

So thanks again for the wonderful site. I continue to learn a great deal and I believe Oliver\'s life is better for it.

Linda

Kiwisoo wrote:

....... If I get another hedgie down the road, I think I will travel to Hamor Hollow instead. I think they prepare their babies for their new homes much better than Vickie does. Did you end up buying the wire cage too? I did, and it was tough to clean and started to corrode in places. Oliver is now in a huge guinea pig cage and a whole lot happier.

Linda
    Let me say.............. Baby Bart, is just the friendliest, I got him from Hamor Hollow. Even my vet has never seen a better-behaved heddgie :kiss:
    I can\'t even make him ball up; he is just always so relaxed, happy to be played with.
    And if I have not said it enough THANKS AGIAN KELLY
    :woohoo: he is such a delight

Post edited by: BabyBart, at: 2006/04/21 15:37

That is wonderful about Baby Bart.

What a wonderful compliment to Kelly and Hamor Hollow!

Linda