Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are giant mealworms dangerous?

Are giant mealworms dangerous?

I give my hedgie giant mealworms. I just got him so ive only given him 3. But I read on a thread that giant mealworms are feed insect hormones not to turn into beetles. It said they are harmful to hedgies. How harmful or what can they do the hedgehogs.

I havn\'t given him any since I read this.

Re:Are giant mealworms dangerous?

I dont know about the insect hormones but i know they give a nasty little bite so i dont feed them to my hog just incase she gets nipped!

my little guy dosn\'t give those worms a cance to even move so im not worried about the bite

not really goldengloves29... we call it \"super worms\". And actually it bite your hedgy. since it\'s a big one like 1+1/2 inches, your hedge eat the tail first then the head turn to your hedge and bite them.

moreover, it\'s nutrition facts doesn\'t real good... that\'s why we\'re not recommend you to give super worms to your love one.

By the way, no mealworms is good for calcium too. It\'s a big misunderstand about that for many years. worms always have too much phosphorus which reduce calcium. So, better to give some vitamins.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Visit my online shop at Boutique Recipes

So worms really don\'t have any nutritional value is that what your saying? Can you tell me what vitamins to give my hedgie if there better than worms.

I think what Kane was saying is you just need to make sure your hedgie is getting his regular food- which has the vitamins/minerals needed... and just use the mealies for treats... don\'t depend on the worms for the vitamins/minerals.

I would also agree, though, I would give regular sized mealies rather than the super worms... There are hormones injected into them... I don\'t think a lot is known what these hormones could do to hedgies over thier life... so better to just stay away from them.
    Mommy to:
    5 kids-KJ, Walker, Rand, Kierlyn, Raed
    14 Hedgies- Tumbleweed, Marvin, Aodhan, Shiner, Mobic, Gemma, Kisses, Lydia, Grace, Nebula, Mireya, Isis, LadyBell and Gwynn

I wouldnt feed them to your APH to be honest as they have such a nasty bite. They dont really hold much nutritional value either but its the bite that concerns me the most.
    When i used to feed these to my water dragons i used to crush there heads first so that they were unable to bite. Hope this helps

Yeah just gave Quentin super worms, regular meal worms, and crickets because he refused to eat any freeze dried insects. He loved both type of worms and was scared of the crickets lol. After reading all this, and since he ate both kinds of worms; going to stick with regular size mealies. Plus the super worms looked scary and gross compared to the little ones :S, I know it's silly but just can't get over the squeamishness. Keep buying live bugs every other day because too grossed out to keep the jar of mealies in the fridge.
    ~ Helen ~
    Proud owner of: Hazel, Lilu, Ivan, & Quentin
    email: helenshedgehogs@live.ca

I used to feed Litchi super worms until I noticed that when she eats them end first they can whip around and give a pretty good bite. Now, I just give her regular sized worms.