Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hedgehog Treat/Meal Recipes

Hedgehog Treat/Meal Recipes

So I was trying to find treat recipes so give my hedgehogs and also to sell. I found 6 recipes that either were formulated for hedgehogs, or I thought they may be ok. If any of them isn\'t ok for a hedgehog, let me know! Also let me know if you try any of them and how they went. Also would love any recipes if anyone has any.

Dried Fruit Treats for Rats
    Ingredients:
    -1 cup whole wheat flour
    -3/4 cup cornmeal
    -2/3 cup dried mixed fruit, chopped into small pieces
    -1 teaspoon vegetable oil
    -1/2 cup apple juice (or some other non citrus fruit juice)

Directions
    -Mix all ingredients. Shape mixture into small (1/2 inch) balls. Place balls on greased cookie sheet.
    -Bake at 250 F (120 C) for 45 minutes.
    -After 45 minutes, turn oven off and let treat balls cool completely. They should be nice and crunchy once cool.
    -Store in a sealed bag or container in a cool dry place.

Insectivore Delight
    Ingredients
    -dead crickets and mealworms
    -1 banana
    -1/2 an apple
    -9 grapes

Directions
    -Mix bugs together, in a separate bowl mix fruit, then combine together.
    -Pour in ice cube tray and freeze

Hedgehog Mealworm Delight
    Ingredients
    -1/4 lb Cooked lean ground beef
    -10-20 Mealworms
    -1/8 Finely chopped banana

Directions
    -Boil water
    -Put water into a bowl and put the live mealworms into it (this kills and sterilizes the mealworms).
    -Drain the water (keep a little bit).
    -Add mealworms and banana into cooked ground beef and little bit of the water that you boiled the mealworms in.
    -Mix well.
    -Feed to hedgehog. (only at most half the recipe, keep the rest in a ziplock bag or container in fridge to feed to hedgehog another day.

Banana Mash
    Ingredients
    -Banana
    -Peas (cooked, or raw)
    -Avocado

Directions
    -Mash the banana and avocado in the rodents bowl.
    -Put the peas on the top of the mash.
    -The amount of each ingredient you use will depend on the size and number of pets you are making it for.

Cavy Cookie
    Ingredients
    -2 C Whole wheat flout
    -1 C Shredded carrot
    -1/4 C Shredded Apple
    -1 C Warm water
    -2 T Honey

Directions
    -Mix into fairly stiff dough...if the mixture is not firm like bread dough... Add some more whole wheat flower.
    -Roll to 1/4 inch thickness on a lightly floured surface and then, using a cookie cutter or small paring knife...cut into shapes (circles, ect). I use a carrot shape or an oval shape.
    -Bake in a 350 degree oven (Fahrenheit) for 9-12 minutes...until edges are crispy.
    -Let them cool in an air-tight container. These cookies will last around two weeks. You can also freeze them for longer storage. The bigger the herd, the faster they will disappear.

Fruit Gummies
    Ingredients
    -2 Strawberries
    -1 Apple, peeled
    -1 Celery stick
    -2/3 C White flour
    -1/2 C Water

Directions
    -Heat oven to 350 degrees.
    -Dice and chop all ingredients into small pieces and pour into a medium sized bowl.
    -Smash ingredients until a mush is formed-may are thick or watery whatever desired.
    -Drain a little bit of water if too much is left over.
    -Place teaspoon sized treats onto a cooking sheet about 1 inch apart.
    -Place in oven and bake for 6-10 minutes or until brown.
    -When done, let set for 3 minutes and then serve
    ~ Helen ~
    Proud owner of: Hazel, Lilu, Ivan, & Quentin
    email: helenshedgehogs@live.ca

Re:Hedgehog Treat/Meal Recipes

As treats, they look great! The only one I would be concerned personally with is the first one, with the chewy fruits. Those can get stuck in the teeth and be distressing. (to the hedgehog and you!) Otherwise, you\'ll have to let us know how they do!
    Terrapin Hedgehogs in MD Serving all of the mid-Atlantic and beyond!|
    Hedgehog World

I\'ll have to try some of these. I make home made meals for my cats...why not the hogs too LOL
    Momma to 1 little boy (Jack) and 3 prickly children: Oliver, Daisy, and Tucker

Maybe leave the grapes out of the \"Insectivore Delight\" I believe that grapes are toxic to hedgehogs.

Grapes are fine for hedgehogs as long as you take the skins off

they were thought to be toxic to hedgehogs, as several other animals can not tolerate them, but it has been found that, in moderation, they are fine. Hope that helps clarify some things.
    Momma to 1 little boy (Jack) and 3 prickly children: Oliver, Daisy, and Tucker

Has anyone tried any of these recipes? I have tons of time, and LOVE making homemade things!
    Im thinking of doing the Insectivore Delight (using only 1/2 the grapes!), and the Cavy cookie!

OK! So if anyone can chime in, and point me in the direction of the most healthiest treat in this list! I am home all day, and really want to hook Samson up for thanksgiving and Christmas! Ive been breeding my own mealworms for the past 6 months, and have a ton of them, so I deffinitely want to make the Insectivore Delight, and the Mealworm Delight! But I just want a lil reassurance that they are ok for hedgies! Im also thinking of adding some Hedgehog Booster to the ingredients on everything I make for him, so it helps him poop regular! (everytime he is irregular it completely puts him back on track!)
    Proud parent of....20 pets!! I have 4 ferrets, 3 hedgies, 3 tortoises, 5 chinchillas, a STO, a Bufo Alvarius, and a Gopher snake, and my 2 dogs .......It's ALWAYS feeding time, for someone in my house!

ok, aren't avocados poisonous to hedgehogs? Actually, I am not going to state that as a question. Do not feed your hedgehogs avocados. Grapes are also toxic. Raisins will choke hedgehogs. Groundbeef, while this is fine to feed the little ones it is high in fat, even the lean version.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domesticated_hedgehog

Now, I am giving every new hedgehog owner this information. Love your pet. Feed them crickets and mealworms and boiled eggs and scrambled eggs and great high quality cat food and strawberries (CT says not to fee strawberries so don't; I didn't know, and I am not going to now; BUT that's the thing you have to READ many sources to learn about your responsibility) and read many, many sources before ever feeding your hedgehog anything, because your critter may die. If there is conflicting information just don't feed it to them, because it is better safe than sorry. I know the above posters may have had great success, but... how many people watch their hedgehog die from renal failure after feeding it grapes?

No major university study has been done on the toxicity of certain foods and the domesticated hedgehog. Err on the side of caution.
    Last edited by alsohere; 01-02-2012 at 12:29 PM. Reason: denouncement of strawberries

Yes there are certain things you should not feed your pets including avocado, chocolate, coffee. alcohol, etc. In the case of grapes and raisins, certain dog breeds cannot tolerate them and they do not know why or if they are harmful to other animals. Personally I would avoid strawberries as they can be an allergen compared to a lot of other fruits that I would consider safer to feed.

Here is a list of foods to avoid which is put out by the ASPCA which runs an animal poison control center
    People Foods to Avoid Feeding Your Pets
    http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/poison...ple-foods.aspx
    Last edited by CThogs; 01-01-2012 at 02:32 PM. Reason: edit link
    Ann
    Connecticut Hedgehogs
    A USDA licensed African pygmy hedgehog breeder located in CT. We serve the tri-state area of CT, New York State and NJ as well as Western MA (and anywhere else you happen to be) Visit our website for more information

Quote Originally Posted by SidonieLunus View Post
    So I was trying to find treat recipes so give my hedgehogs and also to sell. I found 6 recipes that either were formulated for hedgehogs, or I thought they may be ok. If any of them isn\'t ok for a hedgehog, let me know! Also let me know if you try any of them and how they went. Also would love any recipes if anyone has any.

Dried Fruit Treats for Rats
    Ingredients:
    -1 cup whole wheat flour
    -3/4 cup cornmeal
    -2/3 cup dried mixed fruit, chopped into small pieces
    -1 teaspoon vegetable oil
    -1/2 cup apple juice (or some other non citrus fruit juice)

Directions
    -Mix all ingredients. Shape mixture into small (1/2 inch) balls. Place balls on greased cookie sheet.
    -Bake at 250 F (120 C) for 45 minutes.
    -After 45 minutes, turn oven off and let treat balls cool completely. They should be nice and crunchy once cool.
    -Store in a sealed bag or container in a cool dry place.

Insectivore Delight
    Ingredients
    -dead crickets and mealworms
    -1 banana
    -1/2 an apple
    -9 grapes

Directions
    -Mix bugs together, in a separate bowl mix fruit, then combine together.
    -Pour in ice cube tray and freeze

Hedgehog Mealworm Delight
    Ingredients
    -1/4 lb Cooked lean ground beef
    -10-20 Mealworms
    -1/8 Finely chopped banana

Directions
    -Boil water
    -Put water into a bowl and put the live mealworms into it (this kills and sterilizes the mealworms).
    -Drain the water (keep a little bit).
    -Add mealworms and banana into cooked ground beef and little bit of the water that you boiled the mealworms in.
    -Mix well.
    -Feed to hedgehog. (only at most half the recipe, keep the rest in a ziplock bag or container in fridge to feed to hedgehog another day.

Banana Mash
    Ingredients
    -Banana
    -Peas (cooked, or raw)
    -Avocado

Directions
    -Mash the banana and avocado in the rodents bowl.
    -Put the peas on the top of the mash.
    -The amount of each ingredient you use will depend on the size and number of pets you are making it for.

Cavy Cookie
    Ingredients
    -2 C Whole wheat flout
    -1 C Shredded carrot
    -1/4 C Shredded Apple
    -1 C Warm water
    -2 T Honey

Directions
    -Mix into fairly stiff dough...if the mixture is not firm like bread dough... Add some more whole wheat flower.
    -Roll to 1/4 inch thickness on a lightly floured surface and then, using a cookie cutter or small paring knife...cut into shapes (circles, ect). I use a carrot shape or an oval shape.
    -Bake in a 350 degree oven (Fahrenheit) for 9-12 minutes...until edges are crispy.
    -Let them cool in an air-tight container. These cookies will last around two weeks. You can also freeze them for longer storage. The bigger the herd, the faster they will disappear.

Fruit Gummies
    Ingredients
    -2 Strawberries I didn't know about this being bad when I posted my post I learned from your post Ann
    -1 Apple, peeled
    -1 Celery stick
    -2/3 C White flour
    -1/2 C Water

Directions
    -Heat oven to 350 degrees.
    -Dice and chop all ingredients into small pieces and pour into a medium sized bowl.
    -Smash ingredients until a mush is formed-may are thick or watery whatever desired.
    -Drain a little bit of water if too much is left over.
    -Place teaspoon sized treats onto a cooking sheet about 1 inch apart.
    -Place in oven and bake for 6-10 minutes or until brown.
    -When done, let set for 3 minutes and then serve

I have highlighted the portions in the OP where the OP listed items that are not good for hedgehogs or downright pernicious. I also highlighted rodent, because hedgehogs are not rodents but belong to the family Erinaceidae, and that isn't a rodent.

Opinions are one thing. Facts are another. As a great woman once said everyone is entitled to their own opinions but they're not entitled to their own facts.

Please don't me mad at me, because no one for over a year and half said anything about avocados being feed to hedgehogs.
    Last edited by alsohere; 01-04-2012 at 12:24 PM. Reason: added "not" to a the fact quote because it wasn't right