Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pellets VS Cat Litter

Question Pellets VS Cat Litter

I'm thinking of trying pellets instead of regular cat litter as my damien thinks it's fun to play around in the liter at night, and he rolls in it sometimes, believe it or not. both of which are one of the many factors of him that cause his house to become littered in litter.

If i don't have any objections or reasons i'm picking up a pack tomorrow and will post the results (or you can see it on his website's webcam http://damien.propertycontrol.org )

What kind of pellets? You don't want anything that will get stuck in his privates Cat litter is not great either because it is dusty esp if he is rolling in it
    Ann
    Connecticut Hedgehogs
    A USDA licensed African pygmy hedgehog breeder located in CT. We serve the tri-state area of CT, New York State and NJ as well as Western MA (and anywhere else you happen to be) Visit our website for more information

You don't even have to use any thing marketed as cat litter. I use rabbit food pellets for that! Why not try those? they are a whole lot cheaper as well.

Do you know what those pellets are made of? It says they are non-clumping which is good but Ive never seen them so I have no idea of size or what they are made out of or if they have fragrance or not. I usually recommend small animal bedding or litter for the litter box for those who use one.
    Ann
    Connecticut Hedgehogs
    A USDA licensed African pygmy hedgehog breeder located in CT. We serve the tri-state area of CT, New York State and NJ as well as Western MA (and anywhere else you happen to be) Visit our website for more information

I'm switching mine over to fleece liners and a litter pan. Quentin seems to be fine except he keeps sleeping in his litter pan, really gross. Guess I should stop using carefresh and put something like non-clumping, dust free cat litter.
    ~ Helen ~
    Proud owner of: Hazel, Lilu, Ivan, & Quentin
    email: helenshedgehogs@live.ca

I got some Yesterday's news, good thing too, cause I found a rock from his cat litter in his peeter

Quote Originally Posted by SidonieLunus View Post
    I'm switching mine over to fleece liners and a litter pan. Quentin seems to be fine except he keeps sleeping in his litter pan, really gross. Guess I should stop using carefresh and put something like non-clumping, dust free cat litter.
    I've found that the hedgehogs don't care much what is in the litter box-not like our cats who have a fit if I try to change brands. If they are going to use it, and a lot won't, you can use their regular bedding or a different type and just as long as it is safe for them, it works.

I got some Yesterday's news, good thing too, cause I found a rock from his cat litter in his peeter
    Ouch. The yesterdays news should work ok-we used something similar for awhile and had no problems with the males.
    Last edited by CThogs; 08-21-2010 at 04:43 PM. Reason: sp
    Ann
    Connecticut Hedgehogs

I use a mix of pine pellets and pet's pick brand pine shavings with my hedgies (pellets are more odor absorbent; pine shavings are softer for nest boxes) and that works really well. I get the pine pellets at the feed store; they're made for horse stalls. I've gotten the same type of pellets packaged as a cat litter, except it was about triple the price.

Tig

I use the Cat Litter Brand "Worlds Best Cat Litter". Its good for Hedgehogs because its made from corn so if they eat it, its not toxic. Plus it doesnt dry their skin out like pine shavings do nor does it run the risk of mites or fleas living in the cage. Not to mention it doesnt put off any dust like clay litters, and it doesnt stick to the hedgies belly after he uses the potty. Also, I find it much more sanitary because it absorbs every bit of moisture and any odors, so everything scoops out nice and easy. I find that the pellets seem to irritate my hedgies feet, and doesnt do as good of job when it comes to scooping the hedgie waste out! The litter does a really good job for my hedgie, and lasts a really long time as long as you "scoop the poop" once a day. Plus you can pick bags up in many different sizes (7-35lbs bags) and they cost anywhere from $7-$25. You really cant beat the quality of the product and all the things that it does! I went ahead and copied the web address down if anyone wants to check it out!

http://www.worldsbestcatlitter.com/products/
    Last edited by sarah23jane; 09-12-2010 at 04:10 PM.