Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Food brands you trust. :)

Food brands you trust. :)

I'm trying to choose a few more foods to add to my mix and would love to know what you use if you mix. I already use purina indoor and purina one chicken and rice. Mostly I'm looking for dry foods that are maybe higher quality but you can post others too. I like to change it up. I also know some puppy/dog foods can be used and I couldn't find those.

Also does the forum automatically delete threads? I tried to go back to one and it didn't show up.

the dog food is supposed to be too hard and the puppy food is too rich. but i wonder if kibbles for small breeds are really that hard to chew.

It will only show recent threads you have to change the setting to show past threads.
    ~ Helen ~
    Proud owner of: Hazel, Lilu, Ivan, & Quentin
    email: helenshedgehogs@live.ca

Im feeding mine a mix of sunseed hedgehog food and Chicken Soup For The Cat Lovers Soul Cat food, Thats a pretty good quality cat food.

I really like the sunseed hedgehog food, it's the only hedgehog food I've found so far that is actually good for them. Hopefully someone else has had a little bit more luck, but my breeding herd gets a mix of 3 cat kibbles that I got off the food article on this website.
    ~ Helen ~

Fractured- I don't know who told you that about the dog foods, but back in '97 there was some research presented on foods by Dr. Graffam (at the time, at the Bronx Zoo) who specifically studied hedgehog nutrition, and she suggested that if you can get dog kibble that's small enough, it's a better choice than cat food because dog food has more fiber. My hedgies haven't ever had a problem with it when I add small dog kibbles to the mix.

I remember hearing once that giving hedgies a few whole wheat cheerios was a good way of making sure they get decent fiber, is that true?
    ~ Helen ~

I'm interested in getting some more fiber into my hedgie's mix as well, I recently added Wellness to my mix and it's made things a little...icky. ^_^

Right now I have Charley on a mix of Innova Cat & Kitten / Roayal Canin 34 Kitten / Wellness Complete Health. I'm looking over the next 4-6 months to take out the RC and Innova (Innova's parent company was recently bought out and I don't want to risk a formula change) and replace these with Chicken Soup for the Cat Lover's Soul Light and Natural Balance Green Pea & Duck (which I'm told picky eaters sometimes go wild for).

I use the dry cat food list from another hedgie forum I'm a member of, and then petfooddirect.com since I live in Germany and have to bother with shipping things in ^_^

---\

Mostly look at the first line of ingredients and see how many meats or meat meals are in it...typically the more, the higher quality and better the food. A caution to the meats though is to look at the percentage of protein; some cat foods have way too much, in the 30's for a percentage is what I see in alot of the foods I've been recommended to try.

And of course check out fat and fiber percentages too ^_^

~Katie

Administrator
    One way you can add extra fiber to your hedgehog's food is by getting some dry baby cereal. This is a powdery flaky stuff, that you would mix with water or formula to feed to human babies. Available in most supermarkets in the baby food aisle. Sprinkle a pinch on your hedgehog's food, and shake it around a little. Some of it will stick to the kibble, so it will be eaten with the rest of the food. Most hedgehogs that I had when I was doing this would eat it just fine, some seemed to LOVE it, very few refused to eat it at all.
    Becca

Ive been hearing alot that people feed their hedgies purina, but doesnt that have a lot of corn content in it? any of the low quality cat foods usually have alot of corn or other fillers in it so ive always stayed away from them.... Right now im using the sunseed hedge food, chicken soup for the cat lovers soul, and im just adding in Holistic Selects i think its called. has anyone heard of that last one? if anyone has any suggestions as to how i can improve my feed please feel free to offer them, i am always looking for a way to better their care :-)