Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Food brands you trust. :)

One way you can add extra fiber to your hedgehog's food is by getting some dry baby cereal. This is a powdery flaky stuff, that you would mix with water or formula to feed to human babies. Available in most supermarkets in the baby food aisle. Sprinkle a pinch on your hedgehog's food, and shake it around a little. Some of it will stick to the kibble, so it will be eaten with the rest of the food. Most hedgehogs that I had when I was doing this would eat it just fine, some seemed to LOVE it, very few refused to eat it at all.
    How much and how many times a week would you give them the fiber sprinkled on their food? That would be awesome if mine like the stuff.
    ~ Helen ~
    Proud owner of: Hazel, Lilu, Ivan, & Quentin
    email: helenshedgehogs@live.ca

Administrator
    I used to do a pinch (I know, very exact measurements) 3-4 times per week, then I tried just sprinkling about half a box in when I did a big huge mix. Didn't seem to make a difference which way I did it, worked the same either way.
    Becca

Quote Originally Posted by nannyogg View Post
    Fractured- I don't know who told you that about the dog foods, but back in '97 there was some research presented on foods by Dr. Graffam (at the time, at the Bronx Zoo) who specifically studied hedgehog nutrition, and she suggested that if you can get dog kibble that's small enough, it's a better choice than cat food because dog food has more fiber. My hedgies haven't ever had a problem with it when I add small dog kibbles to the mix.
    that is extremely interesting!
    My kids are Sweetie, Harvey the Blondie Bear (hoglets), Llama, and Vlada (toy poodles). RIP Lancik. We miss you so much.

So I tried the powdered baby cereal sprinkled over the hedgehog's food and we've had a 4/4 hedgie rating lol. Haven't seen them eat it but the dish is empty ever morning when I check, so they at least can tolerate it enough to still eat the kibble. I’ve already noticed a visible improvement with the extra fibre, thinking of adding it into the food mix permanently to provide a more balanced diet just need to figure out quantities. And with the variety of flavors the cereal comes in, it's a nice way to give them some variety.
    ~ Helen ~

Just curious, what visible improvement have you noticed since adding the fiber? Was there anything wrong/sickness before you added it?

No they weren't sick or anything, this's gross but I noticed their poop was a healthier colour etc... after adding the extra fibre. It had been a little on the dark side before I decided to add the cereal to their food.
    ~ Helen ~

Aah I see.... interesting....

Herman gets 4:1 solid gold katz n flocken to ultra select hedgehog diet food. As soon as the hedgehog food is gone, I'll be replacing it with another high quality cat food (the pet shop talked me into the hedgehog food, which I now know is not ideal). How much food do you give your hedgies? I give Herman 1 Tbsp plus 1 tsp. each day (he usually finishes all of it), as well as 3-4 mini-crickets, 2 small mealworms, or 1 tsp. veggies 4-5 times a week. However, Herman weighed 12 oz. when I got him (he was 3-4 months old) and two months later, he weighs 14 oz. Is this a healthy weight?

Also, about the fiber... Herman's poo is soft but it is dark brown. How else can I tell if he needs more fiber?

Reason I added fibre because my guys had very dark coloured ones that were smaller then usual.
    ~ Helen ~