Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Food brands you trust. :)

I usually give mine about 3-4 teaspoons of food in her bowl each night. It's usually mostly gone in the morning, but sometimes only half or so gone. I use Stasi's special mix from Terrapin Hedgehogs, which is a mix of a bunch of different cat foods. And I'm really not even sure what Stash weighs now, but she definitely has grown since I brought her home at 7 weeks...she is 17 weeks old now...over 4 months old already!!

I haven't got my hedgie yet, but I heard from a lot of places that Royal Canin Kitten 34 is a good blend. It's supposedly a high quality dry cat food. Anyone try it on their hedgie?

Personally, I really do not like the Royal Canin, blue buffalo, etc brands. The food is SO rich, the hedgehogs tend to have the runs all the time, and while I have not personally seen it as I don't feed this particular food - by all accounts they die much earlier than they would on a less rich diet.
    Terrapin Hedgehogs in MD Serving all of the mid-Atlantic and beyond!|
    Hedgehog World

This may be a dumb question, but when you say "rich," do you mean high in fat?

This may be a dumb question, but when you say "rich," do you mean high in fat?
    Too rich is more like too hard on their systems-too hard on the liver, kidneys, etc. The hedgehogs do better on a mix that is not made up of all premium foods.
    Ann
    Connecticut Hedgehogs
    A USDA licensed African pygmy hedgehog breeder located in CT. We serve the tri-state area of CT, New York State and NJ as well as Western MA (and anywhere else you happen to be) Visit our website for more information

How do you know if it is hard on their liver and kidneys? i would think that premium brands with more whole foods and less preservatives would be easier on their systems, not harder. I've only been a hedgie owner for a 1 1/2 months, so always looking to learn more to make my little guy as healthy as he can be

I spend a lot of time talking about food with vets, other breeders, pet owners, etc and have heard of problems not only with hedgehogs but other pets too who are fed a lot of premium foods only. There is an article here on one of the breeders bad experiences http://www.hedgehogworld.com/content...ed-My-Hedgehog I do add a little of the premium stuff but only a bit. Just my humble opinion, but the pet food companies do want to make their products sound appealing to the humans since most pets don't carry their wallets around Just cause it sounds better to us doesn't necessarily mean it is the best for the animal. I don't think every animal is going to have problems or any one food is the problem but it is something to be careful of.
    Last edited by CThogs; 11-24-2010 at 06:02 AM.
    Ann
    Connecticut Hedgehogs
    A USDA licensed African pygmy hedgehog breeder located in CT. We serve the tri-state area of CT, New York State and NJ as well as Western MA (and anywhere else you happen to be) Visit our website for more information

Does anyone have a recipe for home made dry hedgehog food. and has anyone tried using chia seed as a protein for them.

Senior Member nico0lagouldsmith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by artist View Post
    Does anyone have a recipe for home made dry hedgehog food. and has anyone tried using chia seed as a protein for them.
    I'd like to know if anyone has any recipes too, especially any UK hedgie owners (So I know I can get the stuff) because I am starting to believe my little hedgie doesn't eat enough because I put a couple of tablespoons in his bowl and he tend to just break it up into pieces and eats about half of it at the most in a 24 hour period. He's extremely fussy though and wont eat chicken or boiled egg, the only treats he likes are dried meal worms and banana :/ He's healthy enough and looks fine but I just think if I could make his regular food a little more interesting he might eat a little more and I would worry less

the stuff he has is a cat food with 28% protein, 2.5% fibre, 9.5% fat it also has a lot of added vitamins and minerals -10%. . . generally though it is made up of cereals, meat, oils, fats, mineral, yeast :/ this was recommended by his breeder and he's been raising them on this for years but I would prefer to give him a mixture of things :/

Is purina dog food good for your hedgie? I was thinking of adding some of that to my mix.