Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: looking for lilac

looking for lilac

So i have been told that the lilac coloring is very difficult to find. Does anybody know anything about them? like how rare, where to find, how much cost, etc.

Administrator
    Um, yeah, quite difficult. So difficult that it TECHNICALLY doesn't exist. I have seen one, MAYBE two hedgehogs in my life that I would consider being lilac-ish. I was telling Onikah about them when we were discussing the "are there any more colors we could see in hedgehogs" concept, but guess I didn't explain exactly how rare they are. So if you find one, it is doubtful it will be for sale, and if it is, it would PROBABLY cost approximately a jillion dollars.
    Becca

It seems like some of the Algerian cinnacots had that lilac looking cast to them. as it's all diluted out, I don't see it often any more. Might try looking for Algerian Cinnacots, and see if that turns up what you're looking for.

i have found online someone offering a breeding pair of lilacs. but since this will be my first hedgie i don't believe a breeding pair is appropriate. i'm still going to be relying on onikah a lot to help me through my first few months with a baby. (which i am sooo excited about) still a long time ahead though. And of course the lilac pair was ONLY 4 THOUSAND dollars. while im thinking about it is one room devoted to hegies too much?

You don't need a separate room for your hedgie but if you have the space it's nice. They do run on their wheels all night so if you are a light sleeper, it would work out well.

Talk to Onikah about the different hedgehog personalities and what you are looking for in a hedgehog. Some are really friendly, others have a bit of an attitude, some like to run around every minute and others like to just chill in your lap. All the colors are great, but it's really the personality of your hedgehog that will have the biggest impact day to day
    Ann
    Connecticut Hedgehogs
    A USDA licensed African pygmy hedgehog breeder located in CT. We serve the tri-state area of CT, New York State and NJ as well as Western MA (and anywhere else you happen to be) Visit our website for more information

Administrator
    Did the ad for the breeding pair of lilacs have a photo? If so, share!
    Becca

it does have a few photos. i think i found the same one again but it says here the male is lilac but the female is choco. the owner is in the phillipines. im searching for other possible sources for lilacs. ugh ive been through hundreds of sites and ads. most have turned up nothing. :'(

Is this the for sale link you are looking for?
    http://calambacity.olx.com.ph/pictur...-iid-134205016

Here is another link with the same pics, scroll down...
    http://www.hedgehogcolors.com/
    Feel the Connection
    www.HorsesKnowTheWayHome.net

thats why i started thinking about it a little bit. that second page the one with the hedgehog colors was the very first page i ever looked up. When i saw that add i looked at it and saw those pictures. i knew they looked familiar but i couldnt remember where i had seen them before. I have yet to find a legit lilac anywhere. sigh... but i won't give up i am very determined. i even tried looking up any info on them and there is very little. and because the art of hedgehog breeding for colors is as new as it is there's very little known about the genetic traits and how they play their roles and how things are passed down. this will be quite a challenge but who know maybe with enough luck and determination maybe i can figure a little of it out. but for now i just need to study up on care for them so i can be a good hedgie dad when i get home.

What they're calling a lilac is a variation on the algerian coloration. The reason you can't find info on a "legit lilac" is beause they've just invented a new name for something existing, and want to charge out the butt for it. What makes the whole thing confusing is that people like to make up their own stuff and throw it out there, instead of building on existing knowledge. I get those variations occasionally, and charge the same price as I do for any other. The area where I think we most need clarification is with the piebald ("uberpinto") hedgies... is it partial albinism or leucism? Or are there two different ways to arrive at those variations?