Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Heating Sterilite Bins?

oops i also failed to mention when using a heat controller like a helix the heat and power supply is continuous and there are no fluctuations in heat so the temps are continuously monitored for safe and optimum control instead of the on off type heat controllers which cause burning you set this at temp desired and it continuously controls it at set point with minor fluctuations at .0006 rads you cant beat that with a stick and with a temp gun you can make sure the temps are right for the hedgies

Hi. I set up my own sterelite bin system with heat lamps (red for nocturnal critters) and a Zilla thermostat set to 76 degrees F. Harvey is pretty cozy in this system. I had to keep the lids on the bins because I have curious cats. So, I cut out the middles and duct taped screen into the middles. That way he can get lots of light and ventilation. Even if you have a thermostat it is a good idea to keep a thermometer in there to monitor the temperature. You never know when something will break. Don't want hedgie getting too hot or too cold.

Here's a link that shows my set up. The over all view is the one with the cat.

http://s1235.photobucket.com/albums/...ey%20Hedgehog/

Hope this helps.

Rainy and Harvey
    ~Everyone deserves a forever home~

I use sterilite bins as well. So far, I don't have to use the heat pad too often, except in winter of course. Even then, I use a human heat pad right under the bin. I don't have to elevate the bin or anything, set it on low to medium, depending on the hedgie. It has never melted one of my bins. The only problem is finding the heat pads that DON'T automatically shut off after a certain period of time!
    Mommy to:
    5 kids-KJ, Walker, Rand, Kierlyn, Raed
    14 Hedgies- Tumbleweed, Marvin, Aodhan, Shiner, Mobic, Gemma, Kisses, Lydia, Grace, Nebula, Mireya, Isis, LadyBell and Gwynn

Something to think about... I don't have the exact details on what type of container (whether sterlite or generic), but there are some reports of hedgies in plastic cages heating up and creating fumes that are believed to have been toxic to the hedgies. I haven't had problems using a human heat pad on low under cages, but it's something to be aware of.

Another potential problem for people who use heat emitters and have wire cages is that some hedgies (who seem to aspire to be mountain climbers) have been harmed by the wire on top heating up, and hedgie made it up there.

Thought I'd chime in. Here's what's working for me.

The temp in my apartment fluctuates a lot, so I need it to be kept stable when I'm not here.

1. Ceramic Heat Emitter, 100W, on a stand next to bin so it's above it. I tried the 60W but it only raised the temp of my Sterilite one or two degrees, which sometimes isn't enough. The 100W is more powerful and effective if you need to heat more than a degree or two, IMHO.

2. Cut a whole in the lid where the CHE hovers over it, then put a heat resistant screen over the hole. I just set the screen on the lid. When Cleo gets bigger, will prob have to weigh it down, just in case, so she can't escape.

3. Little thermometer. Got a reptile on for 8 bucks that has a digital read out on the outside and a little knob that goes on the inside of the cage.

4. Zoo Med thermostat set to low, almost as low as it goes. Keeps her bin at 75 in the corner of the CHE and her house (I imagine it's cooler a the other end of the bin).

Hope this will help someone! I've been getting such great advice here, so I wanted to give back. :-) The rig cost me about $80 total.

When you guys say "under the bin" does that mean your bin is sitting on top of a heating pad? Or do you need to raise the bin up a bit so it's not touching? Is it safe to wrap a K&H heat pad in a blanket or shirt?

It depends on what you are using-the reptile heating pads do need ventilation between the bin and the floor/shelf etc so they do not overheat. I have not used the K&H heater-do you have the instructions or can you find them online? I saw a picture online and it looks like there were printed instructions on it
    Ann
    Connecticut Hedgehogs
    A USDA licensed African pygmy hedgehog breeder located in CT. We serve the tri-state area of CT, New York State and NJ as well as Western MA (and anywhere else you happen to be) Visit our website for more information

I looked at all the reptile ones and they seem to really discourage against using with plastic. What about this?? http://www.petfooddirect.com/product...FSVgMgodzSYABA
    It's a different K&H heater and has dual temp control. It is made to go inside pet beds. If she is in a room with a space heater that has a temp control like 90% of the time and a small heat pad like this, You think that is ok? I could also get another one for her to hang out on at playtime?

They will be in the room with the space heater most of the time? You may be fine with just that. It never hurts to have supplemental heat in case you need it though. If you need another heater, I don't think I would go with that one because it needs a cover and you will probably need a bunch of them for when they get dirty and have to be washed. I would go with something like thishttp://www.amazon.com/Heated-Resting...I21Q94TDDOFKDC or this http://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-Hermit...I1PGAX2ZRU424W The second one does need ventilation underneath but last time I looked, it was rated for plastic.
    Last edited by CThogs; 08-23-2012 at 03:24 PM. Reason: fix link
    Ann
    Connecticut Hedgehogs
    A USDA licensed African pygmy hedgehog breeder located in CT. We serve the tri-state area of CT, New York State and NJ as well as Western MA (and anywhere else you happen to be) Visit our website for more information

Yeah my laundry room has no heat so it needs a large space heater to keep the washing machine from freezing. She can sleep there when it's cold bc it will always be at LEAST 72 deg. I also put that plastic stuff over the windows to insulate it more. So you think that heat pad will be good under her bed and that's all? Awesome! I will get one and try it out before she comes home.

One more question: If we take her out to play, like in the kitchen, do you think an hour or two in the lower temp room will hurt her?