Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Heating Sterilite Bins?

So you think that heat pad will be good under her bed and that's all? Awesome! I will get one and try it out before she comes home.
    Just as long as you can turn up the space heater more if you need to, it should be fine with that and a heat pad for the cage. Put a thermometer near the cage so you can moniter the temp

One more question: If we take her out to play, like in the kitchen, do you think an hour or two in the lower temp room will hurt her?
    It depends on the hedgehog and what you are doing-if your hedgie likes to sit in your lap and is soaking up your body heat then it should be fine. If your hedgehog is running around on a cold floor, then they could get too cool
    Ann
    Connecticut Hedgehogs
    A USDA licensed African pygmy hedgehog breeder located in CT. We serve the tri-state area of CT, New York State and NJ as well as Western MA (and anywhere else you happen to be) Visit our website for more information

Super helpful! Thank you!

Me again...I bought the K&H and they make fleecy covers for them so I got one...I will put her igloo over that but what else should go in her igloo? Something for her to burrow into? The heating pad cover will probably get all poo-y too huh?

We use aspen or carefresh bedding and they burrow and make big nests too. She may dirty up the cover but most do not poop in the igloo itself so you may be okay with that. See if your hedgie likes the heat pad in the igloo or not-some of them prefer it near the igloo instead. You'll find out if they move the igloo away from it. You may not find out until the weather gets cooler.
    Ann
    Connecticut Hedgehogs
    A USDA licensed African pygmy hedgehog breeder located in CT. We serve the tri-state area of CT, New York State and NJ as well as Western MA (and anywhere else you happen to be) Visit our website for more information

is that your hedgehog? on your profile pic?

how do the heating pad things work bacause my heat lamp is really annoying and it gets onmy nerves

I use a christmas tree sterilite box with the lid off its the 196 quart one with a fleece blanket on the bottom and the bedding on top. I have Sheldon's wheel and his bowls in there and his giant tree trunk house with a blanket for him in his house. I have a space heater in the room to keep the room temperature up since it is very cold where we live. I also use a heating pad under his box by his house and keep it on low at night so that he can stay warm. During play time I put Sheldon in a large plastic swimming pool that is on the floor and he runs and plays...otherwise he is on my lap cuddling or he lays on my bed while I read a book aloud for him to listen.