Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: lactose intolerance

lactose intolerance

Just thought I would let all the new hedgehog owners out there know that they are lactose intolerant so make sure you read the ingredients in all food because some cat food has yogurt in it .

Administrator
    Typically, yogurt does not affect hedgehogs. It is made with bacteria that help break down parts of the milk. In fact, many hedgehogs can tolerate actual yogurt as treats just fine with no ill effects.
    Becca

yogurt can be used as a treat, one thing to double check is that you buy sugar and aspertain free yogurt.
    ~ Helen ~
    Proud owner of: Hazel, Lilu, Ivan, & Quentin
    email: helenshedgehogs@live.ca

My hedgie and I are lactose intolerant and yogurts are safe as well as aged cheddars and swiss. Of course, for the hedgie, only as the occassional treat.
    Momma to Wilhelmina Wiggles, and Winston Willobee III who has crossed the rainbow bridge.

Quote Originally Posted by termonjai View Post
    My hedgie and I are lactose intolerant and yogurts are safe as well as aged cheddars and swiss. Of course, for the hedgie, only as the occassional treat.
    They may be safe, BUT the aging process of yogurt or cheese does not get all of the lactose out. You will still get a lesser (then a glass of milk) laxative effect as well as some of the gas. You may not be noticing it but it is there.

That said for both of you there are better alternatives to yogurt, my favorite is coconut yogurt (made with coconut milk) or even greek yogurt which is aged more then a normal yogurt.

Also if you want cheddar that has less lactose in it hit up farmers markets for 4 and 6 year aged cheddar, can't recommend buying it in a grocery store as generally it's no where as aged as they say it is.

To the OP Cats are lactose intolerant as well so dairy products generally make up less than 1% of cat food, you can always contact the company and ask for sure.
    Last edited by Mytheral; 03-02-2011 at 10:32 AM.

Yogurt is also really great for a hedgie with tummy upset. (Also for Jeff who is lactose intolerant!) I see no worries with yogurt other than with any other food group - in moderation. Cat foods are safe as far as lactose goes because of the cats also not tolerating it well.
    Mytheral, your comments are appreciated, but please remember to respect other opinions also.
    Terrapin Hedgehogs in MD Serving all of the mid-Atlantic and beyond!|
    Hedgehog World

Quote Originally Posted by Stasi View Post
    Mytheral, your comments are appreciated, but please remember to respect other opinions also.
    Didn't mean it to sound harsh, but modified it a bit to lessen it's edge.

On allergy issues I speak from having multiple nutritionists and experts in the past.

Yes, My list of food allergies is epic... by age 6 I knew more then most nutritionists.

Highlights from my allergies...

Caliac (wheat allergy)
    High Fructose Corn Syrup
    Lactose Intolerant
    Corn Sensitivity (Sensitivity as in a lesser case of an allergy.)
    Milk Sensitivity (Yes, it is different from intolerance.)

Yogurt is also really great for a hedgie with tummy upset. (Also for Jeff who is lactose intolerant!) I see no worries with yogurt other than with any other food group - in moderation. Cat foods are safe as far as lactose goes because of the cats also not tolerating it well.
    Why risk dairy when there is other better alternatives like coconut yogurt?
    Last edited by Mytheral; 03-02-2011 at 11:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mytheral View Post
    Didn't mean it to sound harsh, but modified it a bit to lessen it's edge.

Why risk dairy when there is other better alternatives like coconut yogurt?
    I've never noticed any kind of issue with regular yogurt and hedgehogs, Jeff, or other people with lactose issues. In fact coconut is more likely to cause a problem here, as more of the family is allergic. Silly world we live in anyway!
    Sounds like you have more than your fair share too, and certainly, with all that sensitivity I can imagine that yogurt can cause a problem for you too, and that you'd be more aware of others (people hedgies etc) allergies. I appreciate your passion, but the hedgehog 'version' of lactose intolerance is quite mild.
    Terrapin Hedgehogs in MD Serving all of the mid-Atlantic and beyond!|
    Hedgehog World

We have given yogurt to the hedgies mainly when they are on antibiotics and have an upset stomach from that. We havent had any issues related to the yogurt and it sometimes will help get them to eat more
    Ann
    Connecticut Hedgehogs
    A USDA licensed African pygmy hedgehog breeder located in CT. We serve the tri-state area of CT, New York State and NJ as well as Western MA (and anywhere else you happen to be) Visit our website for more information

I've never noticed any kind of issue with regular yogurt and hedgehogs, Jeff, or other people with lactose issues. In fact coconut is more likely to cause a problem here, as more of the family is allergic. Silly world we live in anyway!
    Tis a fun little world.

Also you may know but... coconut allergies are often linked with walnut and hazelnut allergies too.
    Last edited by Mytheral; 03-02-2011 at 04:27 PM.