Thread: Help with my new hedgie

Help with my new hedgie

I purchased my first hedgie last week, his name is Runyon! If you click the link below it will show just how frightened he is. He doesn't like meal worms or crickets (which is really a problem because he NEEDS insects in his diet and i kinda need help with that too) he wont take treats while i'm playing with him, however he will take cat food bites. Ill admit he has improved over the past week but I just want him to know that every things okay. I let him sleep with my cloths and I guess thats helping but, I feel like theres more i could do...any suggestions???

Heres the link (He is even scared of his own movements) please helpp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXz3HDoG-4Y

Hedgehogs are naturally shy and timid, so I'd call this normal behavior. He's still in the process of adjusting to his new home and to you! So, just give him some time and he should calm down. My hedgie always acts like a spazz when I first pick her up, but soon after she's unrolled and is running around everywhere! She hates sudden movements though. She likes for me to sit still while she explores! Occasionally, she lets me pet her but it takes her a minute to decide she's okay with it. You have to remember that hedgehogs aren't the most friendly little creatures. They can be very skiddish and prefer being alone over being with you. Aren't they just too cute, though?
    See My Store "Hedgie Lovers" At: www.zazzle.com/stellsbellss*
    I am linked to HedgeHogWorlds store, so all profits will go towards hedgehog care as well as this site : )Stop by & Look Around!

I have a hedgehog that is going through the same thing. When I bought her from the breeder she was the sweetest thing, but the transition to the new home was scary and unfamiliar so she did revert back. I make sure to hold her every day for about an hour. She seems to be scared of her own shadow just like your baby lol. I just sit her on my lap and let her do her own thing without disturbing her. She now feels comfortable enough to walk all over me without jumping and curling in a ball. Just give him space and dont try to pet him. Let her unroll at her own pace and explore you. He will soon figure out that your not out to get him and become more comfortable with you. Other than that you are doing everything right. Just be patient because it can take time. Any about the treats some hedgie just dont like them. I have a male that does not like meal worms, he actually runs from them lol.

Thanks so much Thats how my hedgie is he HATES being woken up but eventually he will come out of his ball and run around on my lap if i'm perfectly still. Your right they aren't the most friendly of creatures! lol and I can pet mine too but it takes time for him to relax his quills and stop hissing. And he doesn't hiss at the sound of my voice anymore so there is some improvement

haha and thats really cute how your hedgie runs from his treats! Thanks for all your help

You just have to be patient and consistent, also having a certain time each day you take him out can help. I found that even just talking softly to them while they're in their cage can help them get used to you and begin to trust you. Even if he's just sitting on your lap, or next you while you watch tv, or talking on the phone is quality time for them. And bribing with treats never hurts lol, just make sure your fingers don't smell like the treats.
    ~ Helen ~
    Proud owner of: Hazel, Lilu, Ivan, & Quentin
    email: helenshedgehogs@live.ca

thanks hah i always talk to him when i enter to room and while hes out. He wakes me up at 6am on week days, i play with him untill 7:30am and at night i wake him up at 8pm (hes ALWAYS cranky when i wake him lol) and play with him till around 9:30 or 10. poor thing i wish he would eat treats i have another type of cat food i get little chips of that and feed it to him while hes out but he rreealllyyy needs to eat insects...any suggestions?

Administrator
    While insects can be good treats for hedgehogs, they aren't a desperately needed requirement for their diet. Some hedgehogs won't eat insects. Good thing they don't have to survive int he wild! Try offering other healthy treats, including fruits and veggies, cooked meat and egg, etc.
    Becca

My male Ivan doesn't eat any insects, actually he's so picky about treats that he only eats a certain kind of cat treat and hard boiled eggs. I was really concerned too, but my vet said he was still very healthy. Obviously if he would eat insects that would be great, but don't freak that he's too picky. Try different kind of insects alive and freeze dried, and keep up with the other options dzmeadows mentioned.
    ~ Helen ~
    Proud owner of: Hazel, Lilu, Ivan, & Quentin
    email: helenshedgehogs@live.ca

really?? oh good! thanks! and yeah i was thinking of offering scrambled eggs soon and some small carrot slices. I really hope he likes them!