I need everyone to you pass some info on to your vet:
We now know of several hedgehogs who have died from Ivermectin shots. It usually happens sometime after the 2nd one, I believe it builds up in their system and they go toxic. So please never use Ivermectin in any hedgehogs. Mites can be easily treated with Revolution (the flea and tick stuff used on cats). It\'s 1-4 drops with a 22 gauge needle depending on the size of the hedgehog. 1 treatment is all that is needed and quills will begin coming in again in about 4 days. It\'s safe to use on all hedgehogs (even pregnant and nursing moms), and I know of some people who have used the entire tube on a hedgehog with no negative effects (I don\'t recommend it, but it\'s nice to know you can\'t overdose). This info should hopefully be starting to appear in some of the vet text books.
**disclaimer: I am not a vet. Always go to your vet for medication and dosing instructions**
Post edited by: HamorHollow, at: 2006/03/27 07:56