Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Danger: Ivermectin in Hedgehogs

Danger: Ivermectin in Hedgehogs

I need everyone to you pass some info on to your vet:

We now know of several hedgehogs who have died from Ivermectin shots. It usually happens sometime after the 2nd one, I believe it builds up in their system and they go toxic. So please never use Ivermectin in any hedgehogs. Mites can be easily treated with Revolution (the flea and tick stuff used on cats). It\'s 1-4 drops with a 22 gauge needle depending on the size of the hedgehog. 1 treatment is all that is needed and quills will begin coming in again in about 4 days. It\'s safe to use on all hedgehogs (even pregnant and nursing moms), and I know of some people who have used the entire tube on a hedgehog with no negative effects (I don\'t recommend it, but it\'s nice to know you can\'t overdose). This info should hopefully be starting to appear in some of the vet text books.

**disclaimer: I am not a vet. Always go to your vet for medication and dosing instructions**

-K

Post edited by: HamorHollow, at: 2006/03/27 07:56
    Kelly Sosik-Hamor
    Hamor Hollow Hedgehogs, a New Hampshire breeder
    Do you want to buy a baby Hedgehog? Ask me if they are available |
    Hedgehog World

Administrator

Re:Danger: Iviciminicin in Hedgehogs

Not finding any information on that med under that spelling. Do you mean ivermectin?
    B

i think she does.. invermecten is comonly used to treat exotics with internal paracites, and i know many birds that have recieved the shots and heve passed becasue of it, how ever.... oraly, i have found it to be much better.. again i dont know with hedgies.. we have also descoverd a product called WORM OUT by avian medicine chest, and if you sprinkle it around it kills all insects,a nd mites, i use it as a safe pastaside around my house for ants!

it is a powder and works great.... birds are very suseptable to poisoning ,and it actually works as a vitamin supliment and can be put right on them. it is made of volcanic ash, and kills the insects from the inside out.. i sadly watched this hapen to a housfly and an ant who got into a cup of it i put out to rid my house of buggies...

so this might be good for treating it aswell,, but for the skin mites... who knows.. it is external only! if they eat it like i said.. vitamins.. so i dont know how it would be with hedgies....... i hope i never have to find out! LOL
    Natalie !

dzmeadows wrote:
    Not finding any information on that med under that spelling. Do you mean ivermectin?
    B
    YA ya, Nat isn\'t the only one around here who can\'t spell. I have a spell checker, but it doesn\'t extend to medicines.

Nat - Where do you get that stuff? I think you should give me yours, then I won\'t have to buy it. Just kidding! :silly:
    Kelly Sosik-Hamor
    Hedgehog World

Administrator

Sounds like the same basic concept as the diatomaceous earth... I believe it is finely ground shells, and does great on killing buggies. I don\'t think I would use it on an animal itself, or even where the animal could really get in contact with it because it is a dust, and it is sharp, and if inhaled or gotten in the eyes it could probably be pretty unpleasant. But around the house etc. I have heard good things about the diatomaceous earth.
    Becca

the worm out powder is from Avian medicine chest .com!

do your self a fave, and get the big container.

i go through a container every summer!

it is preventative.

LOL
    Natalie !

i kept on telling my vet it was bad but he still told me its okay bec ts diluted. he gave it to my hedgehog a few days ago orally. u think she\'ll be okay? he wants me to come back for a 2nd tym, should i still come back? would t be bad for the hedgehog if i stop d treatment for her deworm? what do u guys suggest?

help pls

Was there any type of positive test result for mites or parasites? Does your hedgehog have any symptoms of mites or parasites? Was this suggested as a \"routine\" preventative treatment?
    Ann
    Connecticut Hedgehogs
    A USDA licensed African pygmy hedgehog breeder located in CT. We serve the tri-state area of CT, New York State and NJ as well as Western MA (and anywhere else you happen to be) Visit our website for more information

nwB123 wrote:
    i kept on telling my vet it was bad but he still told me its okay bec ts diluted. he gave it to my hedgehog a few days ago orally. u think she\'ll be okay? he wants me to come back for a 2nd tym, should i still come back? would t be bad for the hedgehog if i stop d treatment for her deworm? what do u guys suggest?
    I suggest you insist he use Revolution. It\'s a one time treatment instead of having to go back multiple times.

Ivermectin seems to build up in the hedgehog\'s system and the problems have been with the 2nd or 3rd treatment. Sorta ike an OD or extreme allergic reaction.

-K
    Kelly Sosik-Hamor
    Hedgehog World