Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Potty Pads?

Potty Pads?

Has anyone tried using potty pads for the liner in the cage? Right now I'm using the fleece liners but they get really messy fast and stinky as well. Potty pads would absorb the pee and you could replace them every day or every other day. Seems like it would be a lot easier. I just want to know if it would be safe for my little hog.

The puppy pads? I have tried them and I had to throw them away everyday which felt wasteful and expensive, so I am happier with the liners and just washing them once a week I dunno, if the water and power to wash them is just as much as buying new pads, but I need to wash his cuddle bag and hedgie hut once a week (made from fleeece, he always annoints or gets poopy feet in his sleeping place!) so it works out ok for me. Plus the puppy pads look so sterile, the fleece is fun to look at!
    Feel the Connection
    www.HorsesKnowTheWayHome.net

I am using potty pads cut in half right now for the litter box, but only because I found some that I had used for my cat that passed away, they are very expensive. I clean the fleece blankets as much as I can every morning when I clean his wheel and then wash then once a week...

I've tried the puppy pads, and I wasn't a fan. I find it's much easier to just get out of bed and walk to the bathroom.

No, really, it is........

K
    Kelly Sosik-Hamor
    Hamor Hollow Hedgehogs, a New Hampshire breeder
    Do you want to buy a baby Hedgehog? Ask me if they are available |
    Hedgehog World

I just stick to my plain ole pine bedding.... too many here to make puppy pads OR liners very feasible! Though I am tempted to give them a try... liners anyhow... hmmm.... *wanders off to think more on that*
    Mommy to:
    5 kids-KJ, Walker, Rand, Kierlyn, Raed
    14 Hedgies- Tumbleweed, Marvin, Aodhan, Shiner, Mobic, Gemma, Kisses, Lydia, Grace, Nebula, Mireya, Isis, LadyBell and Gwynn

Administrator
    *slaps forehead at Kelly's post... Kelly, I don't THINK they were talking about using them for people.....
    B

Quote Originally Posted by dzmeadows View Post
    *slaps forehead at Kelly's post... Kelly, I don't THINK they were talking about using them for people.....
    B
    well you never know...... LOL!
    Kelly Sosik-Hamor
    Hamor Hollow Hedgehogs, a New Hampshire breeder
    Do you want to buy a baby Hedgehog? Ask me if they are available |
    Hedgehog World

LOL! Thanks you 2... I needed a laugh!
    Mommy to:
    5 kids-KJ, Walker, Rand, Kierlyn, Raed
    14 Hedgies- Tumbleweed, Marvin, Aodhan, Shiner, Mobic, Gemma, Kisses, Lydia, Grace, Nebula, Mireya, Isis, LadyBell and Gwynn

i use pine and change twice a week... more then is needed. but i am a neat freak about the animals
    Mommy to Quills and scales a-plenty
    R.I.P Nova <3
    www.freewebs.com/ohhedgehogs
    or find me on facebook : ohhedgehogs & reptiles

For my hedgie I have 3 layers: Puppy pads lining the bottom, a homade liner, and care fresh on the top. I like the extra layer because it absorbs any liquid that got through the liner and it makes for easy clean up. A few days ago all his liners were dirty and I was out of care fresh so I left him on pee pads for about 24 hours and that was fine. It would probably work with pee pads but I think you'd need a few layers or some textile bedding cause my little guy shreds them. I'd test it out and see if your hedgie destroys them or not and then go from there.