Thread: Broken leg?

Broken leg?

My hedgehog, Echo, is having trouble walking. I took her out to play a few days ago and noticed she was limping. She won't put any pressure on her left front leg so she can hardly walk and falls over most of the time. I think she hurt herself because she always climbs up the sides of her cage and jumps off once she gets to the top. Is her leg broken or sprained? I don't know what to do because I really can't afford to take her to the vet. If I just leave her alone, will it heal on its own or should I wrap it up with a bandage or something? Thank you for your help.

Because she is having trouble walking she really does need a vet. It is possible to put a cast on a hedgehog and that may be what they will do. Because she cannot walk on it now, I doubt that it will heal properly on its own. It's possible but it may also get worse and require larger vet bills if you wait.
    It also sounds like she may be in pain and a vet could give you medicine to help her feel better. Most vets offer payment plans or credit plans-ask about those.
    Ann
    Connecticut Hedgehogs
    A USDA licensed African pygmy hedgehog breeder located in CT. We serve the tri-state area of CT, New York State and NJ as well as Western MA (and anywhere else you happen to be) Visit our website for more information

Vets are expensive, but they are an important key in owning a healthy and happy animal.

I don't mean to be mean, but if you can't afford to go to a vet, you need to re-evaluate weather or not you should own an animal. Animals are very expensive, and big vet bills do happen. A break or a sprain isn't something you can take care of yourself. Even if it isn't broken, it's probably very painful (since your hedgehog is limping). At the very least, the vet can give you something for the pain.

K
    Kelly Sosik-Hamor
    Hamor Hollow Hedgehogs, a New Hampshire breeder
    Do you want to buy a baby Hedgehog? Ask me if they are available |
    Hedgehog World