Thread: Association of Exotic Mammal Veterinarians-vet list

Association of Exotic Mammal Veterinarians-vet list

The Association of Exotic Mammal Veterinarians maintains a list of their member vets at
    http://www.aemv.org/vetlist.cfm

Members are both within the US and in other countries. This should be helpful for finding knowledgeable veterinarians who treat hedgehogs in your area
    Ann
    Connecticut Hedgehogs
    A USDA licensed African pygmy hedgehog breeder located in CT. We serve the tri-state area of CT, New York State and NJ as well as Western MA (and anywhere else you happen to be) Visit our website for more information

Everyone should take note that the membership requirements for the above Association of Exotic Mammal Veterinarians is to be a holder of a veterinarian degree, a veterinarian student, or work in the office of a veterinarian and pay the dues. The association was founded in 2000. It does not require a vet to be an expert in exotic mammals to be a member. The reason they were found was to advance "the veterinary care of ferrets, rabbits, guinea pigs, hamsters, rats, mice, and other exotic companion mammals."

And hedgehogs do not make the list.

Find a vet by talking to your vet and asking if they are capable of taking care of a hedgehog and willing to learn if need be, if they aren't ask for a recommendation.

The above organization is like a lot of organization in existence today. You pay some money and say you're a member, and that's all. Membership in this organization shouldn't be your first step to finding a good vet for your hedgehog. Call the county university extension office --if you live in a big city then your options are larger this advice is for rural communities-- ask to speak with the 4-H adviser/ director and ask this person who would be a good vet for a hedgehog. They won't know, but there will be some kid in some club showing some little pig in the fair that needs a vet too. And you'll get to go to that kids vet at the very least there will be two hedgehogs at the office instead of none.

Grains of salt and marketing gimmick associations into the above cost money and small town vets don't have money to spend on marketing gimmicks or professional associations that aren't but babies. Start your research for a vet at home before looking to some list from the internet.

The vet list itself does list veterinarians and it does list veterinarians who see hedgehogs. It is not uncommon for professional organizations to also admit to membership students and others to help further their education. In our area some of the most knowledgeable exotic veterinarians are on this list and it is a good starting point if you are looking for a hedgehog veterinarian and your own vet will not see hedgehogs or does not have a recommendation for you, which is not uncommon.
    Ann
    Connecticut Hedgehogs
    A USDA licensed African pygmy hedgehog breeder located in CT. We serve the tri-state area of CT, New York State and NJ as well as Western MA (and anywhere else you happen to be) Visit our website for more information

Most of the vets listed in MD as seeing hedgehogs have VERY good reputations, and loads of experience. There are a couple I'm not familiar with, but overall, I agree with you Ann - a GREAT place to start looking for that exotic vet.
    Terrapin Hedgehogs in MD Serving all of the mid-Atlantic and beyond!|
    Hedgehog World

My post was clear. It wasn't an attack. If that is a great place to start looking then... good riddance to every vet that refuses to pony up the cash to an organization that was founded in 2000 and doesn't list hedgehogs in the founding statement --I didn't write the vets didn't list hedgehogs I wrote the organization; but, a mere convolution of my writing is awesome.

I am not going to apotheosize a paid listing for vets. It isn't objective. The options and ways of research I offered are objective, and I have no ulterior motives in offering it. I mean calling the University of Illinois extension office --if you live in Illinois-- which there is one in every county and asking for a referral to a hedgehog vet seems like a pretty objective way of finding a vet.

Or looking on a list that cost money.

Paid listings aren't objective. I am not a super-moderator, but I have the ability to think, and I can pay money and list anything I want on the paid listing. I know of an unscrupulous large-animal vet whom I'll call and see if he'll join the organization if I pay. I am sure they'll take my money and list him all the same.
    Last edited by alsohere; 01-02-2012 at 01:09 PM. Reason: grammar

The Association of Exotic Mammal Veterinarians (AEMV) was established in 2000 by veterinarians interested in advancing the veterinary care of ferrets, rabbits, guinea pigs, hamsters, rats, mice, and other exotic companion mammals.

I'm not surprised hedgehogs were not listed in the founding statement. Hedgehogs have only been pets here in North America since the mid-90's so I would have been surprised if they were listed in 2000. They would fall under the category of "other exotic companion animals" as would sugar gliders, degus, chinchillas, prairie dogs, etc, etc.

A lot of professions do have organizations like this, doctors, lawyers, and exotic vets too. They usually pay dues and get publications and continuing education. Usually, they are not paying to be listed, they are paying for the educational opportunities.

Most of the breeders spend a lot of time talking with people about vets for their hedgehog. I know I do and I would not have posted the list if I did not think it had value
    Ann
    Connecticut Hedgehogs

Ann and Stasi, thank you so much for the information and advice. I am sorry that "alsohere" was so rude. I also took her posts as attacks, and I was not the one they were aimed at. Please keep the good information coming as I am always trying to expand my knowledge of my loving little hedgies.