Thread: Is my hedgie blind?

Is my hedgie blind?

I just got a hedgie and I swear she is either blind or suicidal. She takes off at full speed for any and every edge she can find. She sometimes acts like she is blind because she likes to run into things then just turns around and runs the other way, but other times she acts like she knows exactly what she's doing and can see fine, like she can find the bedroom door and will go straight towards it in her ball. But when I put food in front of her face she smells around like crazy if it's something she likes but can't seem to find it. She also tends to ignore the cat's in the house she will run right over them or under them as if she has no clue that they are there but if they touch her or get to close to her face she hisses at them. Is this normal for a hedgie?

I recently learned that most hedgies aren't blind, but they do not have very good vision, relying mostly on smell and memory. She goes for the door, because she knows where it is, but she doesn't know the exact position for everything else. They are somewhat better at seeing in darker, or dim lighting(At least mine is), because of their nocturnal nature, their eyes are meant for seeing at night. It's one of the reasons they can be fairly defensive, because something new was introduced right in front of them. Mine has the same problem with edges, it's because they can't tell there's an edge, from what they see, and can tell, it keeps going.

Hedgehogs do not have good eye sight. They will run right off of an edge, so you have to be quick to grab them.

They also have incredible memories, so if they learn where something is, they will remember.

K
    Kelly Sosik-Hamor
    Hamor Hollow Hedgehogs, a New Hampshire breeder
    Do you want to buy a baby Hedgehog? Ask me if they are available |
    Hedgehog World

I'm adding to this thread because I'm wondering if Mina is completely blind. She acts different from Winston. For example, when she's in her cozy or tissue box and I hold out my hand/finger for her to smell me, she sniffs the air, but if her nose bumps into my finger, she starts huffing. I know their vision is poor, but I would think they could see the end of their nose. Her hearing I also think is more sensitive than Winston's too. I could move my arm across my leg, if she's beside me or on me, and she would huff. I'm not sure, but would like some input. Thanks.
    ps, there's been no injury, and she's just over a year old.
    Momma to Wilhelmina Wiggles, and Winston Willobee III who has crossed the rainbow bridge.

The one hedgehog we had that I knew was totally non-visual (blind) didn't know day from night. He would be up running around in the middle of the day when everyone else was asleep and asleep when everyone else was awake.

We have had a few who I suspect had limited eyesight due to infection, injury, etc. Usually at the vets office, we will put them in the middle of the room and see where they go. We had one run to a couple of inches away from the wall and follow the wall perfectly as she ran so we knew she could see something.

When you have her out does she go to a dark spot in the room? That would be something a blind hedgehog would not do
    Ann
    Connecticut Hedgehogs
    A USDA licensed African pygmy hedgehog breeder located in CT. We serve the tri-state area of CT, New York State and NJ as well as Western MA (and anywhere else you happen to be) Visit our website for more information

I haven't let her roam free, too many things for her to get under. She's always been in her playpen. I'll have to test her this weekend. Thanks for the info.
    Momma to Wilhelmina Wiggles, and Winston Willobee III who has crossed the rainbow bridge.