Thread: Normal Quill Loss Per Night

Normal Quill Loss Per Night

I'm not sure exactly how old Ralph is but last night before bed I found that he lost about 3 quills and woke up this morning to around 7 more. Is this the normal quill loss for hedgehogs during quilling or could it be something else? Also how long does the quilling process take?

Usually they go through their major quilling when they are babies and it is usually over by about 12 weeks, but some do decide to go through another, usually within the first year. They do lose quills like we lose hairs, so to find a few every once in a while is alright and nothing to worry about, but to find a lot every day is usually a sign of stress, mites or illness of some kind. Keep an eye on it and see if it continues.
    Ann
    Connecticut Hedgehogs
    A USDA licensed African pygmy hedgehog breeder located in CT. We serve the tri-state area of CT, New York State and NJ as well as Western MA (and anywhere else you happen to be) Visit our website for more information

Ya, what she said....... =)

The 2nd quilling usually comes around 8 months. Sometimes it is noticeable and sometimes not.

K
    Kelly Sosik-Hamor
    Hamor Hollow Hedgehogs, a New Hampshire breeder
    Do you want to buy a baby Hedgehog? Ask me if they are available |
    Hedgehog World