Thread: What are the exact rules of PA?

What are the exact rules of PA?

I've been reading and contacting people and I've been getting all different responses. Heck, I've gotten two different responses from PA.
    We were considering getting a hedgie, but it would be staying with my boyfriend because my two roommates have three cats. We both live in MD now, but he may move up to Hanover/York, PA (I'll be staying in MD).
    Does the PA wildlife have hedgie-radar and they go around houses that beep? I mean, how does one control that kind of stuff?
    Also, can you have one if the breeder is from PA? I heard that one, too.

There are no LEGAL hedgehog breeders in PA. The state does not allow hedgehogs. They won't give you a good reason, and they will just freak out on you of you try to ask them.

PA does not have hedgehog radar, but if someone reports you, you could be fined and you would probably have X amount of time to remove the animal from the state. If you take one into PA, you have to accept the risk.

As a breeder, I could not sell you a hedgehog if you lived in PA or any other illegal state. The USDA does check our hedgehog contracts.

K
    Kelly Sosik-Hamor
    Hamor Hollow Hedgehogs, a New Hampshire breeder
    Do you want to buy a baby Hedgehog? Ask me if they are available |
    Hedgehog World

I just read an article from about 2 months ago that said they were overturning the law...

Here is the article about the kids trying to change the law
    http://www.pennlive.com/pets/index.s...hedgehogs.html

It was PA house bill #1398 which was tabled (not acted on) in the legislative session which means that hedgehogs are still not legal in PA
    http://e-lobbyist.com/gaits/PA/HB1398
    Ann
    Connecticut Hedgehogs
    A USDA licensed African pygmy hedgehog breeder located in CT. We serve the tri-state area of CT, New York State and NJ as well as Western MA (and anywhere else you happen to be) Visit our website for more information

We were considering getting a hedgie, but it would be staying with my boyfriend because my two roommates have three cats. We both live in MD now, but he may move up to Hanover/York, PA (I'll be staying in MD).
    The cats will probably be scared of a hedgehog. Most of the breeders on here have cats and usually the cats will get spiked in the nose when they try to smell the hedgehog and will learn that it is something to stay away from. If you have a legal place for the hedgehog to live in MD then I would consider getting one. I do not think the cats would pose a problem if you have a secure cage and have the hedgehog out under supervision
    Ann
    Connecticut Hedgehogs
    A USDA licensed African pygmy hedgehog breeder located in CT. We serve the tri-state area of CT, New York State and NJ as well as Western MA (and anywhere else you happen to be) Visit our website for more information

Quote Originally Posted by CThogs View Post
    The cats will probably be scared of a hedgehog. Most of the breeders on here have cats and usually the cats will get spiked in the nose when they try to smell the hedgehog and will learn that it is something to stay away from. If you have a legal place for the hedgehog to live in MD then I would consider getting one. I do not think the cats would pose a problem if you have a secure cage and have the hedgehog out under supervision
    Yeah, I don't even let them come in my room.

Quote Originally Posted by CThogs View Post
    Here is the article about the kids trying to change the law
    http://www.pennlive.com/pets/index.s...hedgehogs.html
    I have to try to contact that teacher. The school is about a half hour away from where I grew up. I actually read the articles last year, my father sent them to me.

Kelly
    Kelly Sosik-Hamor
    Hamor Hollow Hedgehogs, a New Hampshire breeder
    Do you want to buy a baby Hedgehog? Ask me if they are available |
    Hedgehog World

PA has been VERY clear on their feelings over the kids idea. The legislature had it on the books to consider changing the law a couple of years ago, but when they looked into it they determined that hedgehogs COULD pose a danger (really?) and would not change it. I don't imagine the kids are going to sway their feelings. But, power to em! PAGC will confiscate the animal if they find one, and they euthanize. I wouldn't risk it.
    As for the breeder in PA - YES! it would be legal if you could find a breeder - assuming the breeder ONLY breeds animals that can be proven to have been there from before 1992.
    Terrapin Hedgehogs in MD Serving all of the mid-Atlantic and beyond!|
    Hedgehog World