Thread: Particularly Long Quilling?

Particularly Long Quilling?

Hi All,

You may remember a while back I was bemoaning baby Hetchel's extremely hard, fussy quilling. She's currently 18 weeks old, and she's still quilling. It's slowed considerably- the number of quills I find are less than before, but she's definitely still shedding baby quills, and a few adult-seeming sized ones as well. She seems otherwise healthy, eating fine, gaining an appropriate amount of weight, fully active, and her stool has been checked by the vet. She's still a hissing, stubborn cactus, but we're making headway.

I know quilling tends to run until about 12 wks of age, and I was ready for a little variance in that estimate- but 18 weeks seems a little long. Have you ever had a 'long quiller'?
    *Mom to 1 hoglet- Hetchel, 3 cats- Judas, Alice, & Nihilism, and 2 chinchillas- Faust & Festopheles. Momma to beloved departed Wilbur, Wolfgang, & Hedrick <3

the length of the quilling period can vary greatly from one hedgehog to the next. I don't think 18 weeks is too unusual. I don't like that you said that some adult quills are coming out too. I am concerned about mites or possibly the hedgehog is stressed. Are there any bare patches? Do you have a dog, bird, child who plays an instrument/ listens to loud music? Any of those can create a stressful environment for your hedgehog.

K
    Kelly Sosik-Hamor
    Hamor Hollow Hedgehogs, a New Hampshire breeder
    Do you want to buy a baby Hedgehog? Ask me if they are available |
    Hedgehog World

It may be mites, though it's not presenting like I've seen mites- there aren't any sizable bald patches. It very well may be that she's stressed- she's being very touchy about everything around her, even the slightest noises. I think she's still in a good amount of pain. She's touchy to everything, even the slightest noise. It's not been overly loud.
    *Mom to 1 hoglet- Hetchel, 3 cats- Judas, Alice, & Nihilism, and 2 chinchillas- Faust & Festopheles. Momma to beloved departed Wilbur, Wolfgang, & Hedrick <3

Ha, okay, so I've gotten to the point of bribing my hoglet. XD She's still an irritable hissbiscuit, so I've started to give her a small amount of treat when I pull her out of her cage. We've gotten to the point where she'll lay her quills completely flat and let me rub her stomach and pet her... but only so long as she's eating. Vast improvement on cuddling with her for half an hour before she even comes out. -_-

Kelly: Re: the noise... to the extent of my knowledge, the house is quiet all day. There are cats in the house, but Hetch doesn't seem particularly bothered by them, and the cats have LONG since learned to ignore hedge-activities. It seems she only gets hissy when she hears me coming, the cute little snit.

Hedgies can be little brats, just don't put up with any SH!& from her. Keep at it!

K
    Kelly Sosik-Hamor
    Hamor Hollow Hedgehogs, a New Hampshire breeder
    Do you want to buy a baby Hedgehog? Ask me if they are available |
    Hedgehog World

Still workin' on it. She comes out completely and is VERY cuddly during bath times, but we don't make those too frequent because the house is already relatively dry.

She's still losing quills, but I've noticed that the ones she's growing in are quite long. Longer than Wilbur's used to be, which is odd & kind of interesting. No bald patches whatsoever, just... still constant quill loss. We still handle her every night, and she's still a hissy cactus. But we're working on it. This hedgehog will like me if it's the last thing I do.

Administrator
    It can definitely be frustrating when you have a stubborn hedgehog! Keep up the hard work, we are all rooting for ya!
    Becca

Thanks, it's been a rough battle, but I'm at LEAST as stubborn as she is. It's been a huge departure for me as a hedgehog owner. She's the first one who I've yet to 'win over', and I've even raised wild hedgehogs in a rescue situation, so this is humbling. Good for my 'hoglet owner' character, I suppose.