Thread: Curled nail

Curled nail

Demetri has a single curled nail on his back left paw, I noticed it while clipping his nails. It's not curled under from being overgrown, in fact, the nail itself is barely long at all. It's curled outward, and I'm not sure if this is a problem, or how to cut it, since it's pressed against his paw, and is difficult to get clippers under. He seems to get irritated when I touch it with the clippers at all.

Can you soak it in warm water for a few minutes and then try to cut it? That would make it easier to cut and it also may soothe it a little so he is not so annoyed.
    Ann
    Connecticut Hedgehogs
    A USDA licensed African pygmy hedgehog breeder located in CT. We serve the tri-state area of CT, New York State and NJ as well as Western MA (and anywhere else you happen to be) Visit our website for more information

I clip and clean his feet at the same time, always clean first or else the clippers don't work so well trying to get through the dried poo. And always using warm water. It doesnt look like its growing at all either, nor bothering him while he runs.

Try your best to keep it cut short without cutting into the pink "quick" part of the nail and it may or may not grow back straighter. Sometimes you get a weird looking nail that will grow back normally. We use baby human clippers and they seem to work really well at getting at hard to clip nails.
    Ann
    Connecticut Hedgehogs
    A USDA licensed African pygmy hedgehog breeder located in CT. We serve the tri-state area of CT, New York State and NJ as well as Western MA (and anywhere else you happen to be) Visit our website for more information

Just hold his paw firmly and cut it like you would any other nail. You just may have to hold our hand at a funny angle to get it. Don't worry if he complains, hedgehogs will do that.

K
    Kelly Sosik-Hamor
    Hamor Hollow Hedgehogs, a New Hampshire breeder
    Do you want to buy a baby Hedgehog? Ask me if they are available |
    Hedgehog World

My hedgie has a curled nail when we tried to cut it he waved his paw in pain and kept curling up so we are going to take him to the pet store tomorrow and see if they can help