Thread: "Tufty" fur

"Tufty" fur

Just recently my little guy has actually started letting me pet his fluffy little tummy and I noticed that along the sides right below his quills his hair seems to be growing in in little "tufts", almost like the follicle a quill would come through, only multiple hairs take the place of one quill.

This is a best picture I could get of it, as he really does not like the noise my Nikon P500 makes when its focusing

091.jpg

I was just wondering if this should be a cause for concern. The rest of his fur looks normal, not missing any patches or clumpy/scruffy looking.

Has he been scratching at all? That looks like a spot he could reach if he was scratching with his back foot
    Ann
    Connecticut Hedgehogs
    A USDA licensed African pygmy hedgehog breeder located in CT. We serve the tri-state area of CT, New York State and NJ as well as Western MA (and anywhere else you happen to be) Visit our website for more information

I have noticed his scratching a bit... had him at the vet to check and no fungus or anything. Vet said it looks like some dry skin.

Ive been trying to help with the dry skin using some flax seed oil and oatmeal baths (not too often as I know that can just dry out his skin more) but it doesn't seem to be having much of an effect.

He also has some dry skin on his face that i can't quite figure out how to get at/ sooth.

Any suggestions?

I wonder if a humidifier would help. I'm sure the breeders would be able to answer this. I would be miserable in the winter without mine. I am prone to nosebleeds in the winter time when the air is dry, so the humidifier helps me tremendously, and I would like to think it helps my hedgie.
    Momma to Wilhelmina Wiggles, and Winston Willobee III who has crossed the rainbow bridge.

Yes-if you have or can get a humidifier, that will often help a lot with dry skin in the winter
    Ann
    Connecticut Hedgehogs
    A USDA licensed African pygmy hedgehog breeder located in CT. We serve the tri-state area of CT, New York State and NJ as well as Western MA (and anywhere else you happen to be) Visit our website for more information