Thread: Underbelly Pouch?

Underbelly Pouch?

Hello All,
    I am both new to owning a hedgie and to the forum. I have a male hedgie named Roman and lately when I have handled him I have noticed that he has what is best described as a pouch of what I imagine to be fat. He's is a little over 3 months old and I feed him around 2 tablespoons of food per day. I was wondering if he is just overeating (because he eats like he has never seen food before every single time) yet he is so active, we joke that he is training for a marathon on his wheel. Anyway I was hoping someone could tell me what is going on if he is just needs to go on a diet or if he needs vet attention?

Thanks so much!

Mary (and Roman!)

Administrator
    Can you get a picture of what you are describing? My brain tried to jump to marsupial pouches, which he of course doesn't have, since he is not a marsupial, and he is a boy. My best realistic guess is you are noticing the testicles, which would be noticeable at this age. They don't hang down from the belly, but they can cause a bulge between the "belly button" and the tail area. This would be located around the center (from side to side).
    Becca

Right now he is going through a bit of a angsty phase because of how young he is, but I think you may be right as it is located in that area. It kind of just looks like a lump and whenever I feel it because I have been monitoring it's size in case it was something bad, it hasn't grown or anything and it just feels like a soft lump. I'll try to see if I can get a picture of it tonight, I'll have to wait until someone comes home because something tells me it's going to be a two person job! Thanks for your help and I'll update with a picture as soon as I can!

Quote Originally Posted by dzmeadows View Post
    My best realistic guess is you are noticing the testicles, which would be noticeable at this age. They don't hang down from the belly, but they can cause a bulge between the "belly button" and the tail area. This would be located around the center (from side to side).
    Becca
    Yes, if 'the pouch' is between 'the belly button' and the tail, then you are looking at 'boy bits'.

Kelly
    Kelly Sosik-Hamor
    Hamor Hollow Hedgehogs, a New Hampshire breeder
    Do you want to buy a baby Hedgehog? Ask me if they are available |
    Hedgehog World