Thread: My baby is quilling!

My baby is quilling!

My Albino has started quilling because when I tried to clean their poop (she's with another female with the same age which is grey with slight pinto so I'm sure those quills are hers) I was pricked. I tried to look at the beddings and found a lot of quills. They will turn 3 months this 24. Will this be her last quilling? I can't pick her up because of the fear of having the quills prick me while handling her.
    Add me in facebook! :3 www.facebook.com/dyamezdaily

Administrator
    This will probably be their last MAJOR quilling, but they may have some lighter quilling episodes before they are completely finished. There is no reason to quit handling her, if all else fails, you can place a light sheet across your lap to catch the quills that fall so you don't have to find them in your couch or carpet later. You need to continue to handle her, don't let her miss out on her snuggle time.
    Becca

I found the reason why she was quilling! My algerian grey female that accompanies her in the same cage was biting her back and pulling her quills! Is this normal or is this fighting? When the three of them, including my male hedgie, are taking a bath, the algerian grey keeps on biting the male and the albino female is nudging her off. What could be the reason of this? Does this mean that I need to have separate the girls? Thanks!

My algerian grey female that accompanies her in the same cage was biting her back and pulling her quills! Is this normal or is this fighting? Thanks!
    The biting the back and pulling quills is either a mating or dominance behavior (if it is 2 females).

When the three of them, including my male hedgie, are taking a bath, the algerian grey keeps on biting the male and the albino female is nudging her off. What could be the reason of this? Does this mean that I need to have separate the girls?
    The males and females should have been separated at around 6 weeks of age. If they are around 10 weeks now, separate the boys and girls now and assume the girls are pregnant and separate them from each other also. Read the breeding articles section here again and make sure that you know how to be prepared in case any of them give birth
    Ann
    Connecticut Hedgehogs
    A USDA licensed African pygmy hedgehog breeder located in CT. We serve the tri-state area of CT, New York State and NJ as well as Western MA (and anywhere else you happen to be) Visit our website for more information

Oooohhhh, she is just 3 months old and my male is 6 months old, but they are in a separate cage. The only time that they are in the same cage is before and during bathing them.

I'm planning to breed them on feb or march.

thanks for the info by the way!

3 months old is plenty old enough to get pregnant, but not safely. Assume she's pregnant. It only take a second, and if she's been exposed to the boy, yep, pregnancy is likely.
    Terrapin Hedgehogs in MD Serving all of the mid-Atlantic and beyond!|
    Hedgehog World

but i will only put them together if I am there looking at them so probably pregnancy is not likely but my albino is really fat now! I'm guessing that it's because she eats a lot of mealworm compared to her playmates. :3

hi i just got my hedgehog couple days ago he's 9 weeks, i see quills on his bed and he leaves them on my shirt, but i can't pick him up because his quills are to to to to to to to sharp. will they go down when he gets down quilling? i saw pics of lil kids holding hedgehogs and i can't even touch mine without wanting to cry loll (btw this is my first hedgehog and I'm 15)

Administrator
    Quilling is a very grumpy time for hedgehogs. However, you just have to tough it out and keep on handling him. He will get more used to you, and less miserable when quilling is completed, and your hands will toughen up so the quills aren't so uncomfortable. Also, the more nervous you are, the more nervous you are making the hedgehog. Probably many of the little kids you have seen holding hedgehogs have been doing so since they were TINY, and are able to do so so easily because they aren't scared of the hedgehogs. My daughters had hedgehogs that they could hold and get out of their cage from the time they were 2 and 3. My oldest has kind of lost interest (she's 14), but my 12 year old can handle the hedgehogs like a pro. Even the big fat grumpy ones. She grumbles back at them and scoops them up like they aren't being such crabs.
    Becca

Quote Originally Posted by jamesdaily75 View Post
    I can't pick her up because of the fear of having the quills prick me while handling her.
    Practice and get used to it. You've got a hedgehog, you are going to get pricked. You need to be picking up your hedgehog and spending time with it.

If your intention is to breed, then you need to either suck it up or get something fuzzy instead. I'm not trying to be mean, just real. If this isn't for you, then it is better to know before you breed then later on.

K
    Kelly Sosik-Hamor
    Hamor Hollow Hedgehogs, a New Hampshire breeder
    Do you want to buy a baby Hedgehog? Ask me if they are available |
    Hedgehog World