Thread: Constantly Jumpy

Constantly Jumpy

Hey guys,

My little ones name is Lychee, She is 6 months and I've had her for 5 months. She is still jumpy and huffy at times and I was wondering why?

I don't call myself and expert, but I believe that's a normal defense thing. Reia always jumps and huffs until she is comfortable with me. I also have a chinchilla and I've had him for about 12 years and he is still really jumpy. I think it comes down to a natural defense, much like if we are spooked, our heart rates go through the roof!

Again, no expert, but that's just my thought.
    ~Sam, the always worried Mommy~
    ♪♫ My 'lil Reia ~ 11/27/11 - 12/15/12 RIP 'lil girl ♫♪
    "There are no hedgehogs in captivity... instead, we are held captive... ... ... by the hedgehog."

Yes, they do each have their own normal as far as their jumpiness and startle reflexes go. Some will take everything in stride and others will startle at sudden noises and movements, shadows, etc.
    Ann
    Connecticut Hedgehogs
    A USDA licensed African pygmy hedgehog breeder located in CT. We serve the tri-state area of CT, New York State and NJ as well as Western MA (and anywhere else you happen to be) Visit our website for more information

I agree with the above statements, although I'm by no means an expert either! I've had my lovely Hedgie since January, and she still curls up, and huffs almost whenever I walk past the cage! And sometimes even when I turn on the light at night! Perhaps some hedgies are more "people friendy" than others. My favourite thing about my Hedgie, is how she lets me stroke her stomache hair! Oh so soft!

Quote Originally Posted by masterofdeskies View Post
    I agree with the above statements, although I'm by no means an expert either! I've had my lovely Hedgie since January, and she still curls up, and huffs almost whenever I walk past the cage! And sometimes even when I turn on the light at night! Perhaps some hedgies are more "people friendy" than others. My favourite thing about my Hedgie, is how she lets me stroke her stomache hair! Oh so soft!
    she lets you stroke her stomach? Like you hold her on her back and stroke her stomach?

Yes, she does! But when I hold her on her back, it's in a tea towel!

I'll definitely add my voice to the choir... some hedgies are just more naturally jumpy than others. And some are more sensitive to human nervousness around them. Quiet lap time, relaxing yourself, can help hedgie gradually relax and give you quality time together

We have a great articles section on this website. You should read up to find out what is normal and what you can work on. You will find a lot of great info.

K
    Kelly Sosik-Hamor
    Hamor Hollow Hedgehogs, a New Hampshire breeder
    Do you want to buy a baby Hedgehog? Ask me if they are available |
    Hedgehog World

So Mina is very jumpy with movement and sound. I'm trying to get her more adjusted to sounds and movement, but haven't made any progress yet. It's just myself and my boyfriend and we live in a single family home in the country. Needless to say, it's very quiet. So, I started turning the radio on while we're at work, I know she gets up for a bit after we leave. Now I'm wondering, since she's sleeping most of the day, would it be more beneficial to have the radio on while she's up and we're in bed? We listen to NPR, so she's gets to hear the latest news from around the world all day long, not sure what NPR plays at night, classical music or more talk radio. I'm open to opinions. Thanks.
    Momma to Wilhelmina Wiggles, and Winston Willobee III who has crossed the rainbow bridge.

Yeah you could try the radio at night when she is up more. During the day she probably sleeps right through it most of the time. They can sleep through a lot
    Ann
    Connecticut Hedgehogs
    A USDA licensed African pygmy hedgehog breeder located in CT. We serve the tri-state area of CT, New York State and NJ as well as Western MA (and anywhere else you happen to be) Visit our website for more information