Thread: His skin is...peeling?

Question His skin is...peeling?

I don't know how to really describe it. My eight, almost nine month old hedgie's skin is coming off in flakes.... almost like dandruff... Is this normal? It's really bothering me. It looks dry, but it only started, or so I've only noticed, today.
    I'm really concerned about it...
    Any answers would be great.
    -Matraisa & Hubert

Administrator
    Get a bright light, a piece of white paper, and a piece of dark paper. Hold him over the papers, ruffle his quills until some of the flakes fall off. Then, watch the flakes on the papers under the bright light. If any of the flakes move (and you may need to watch for a few minutes) Hubert has mites. If none move, then it may just be dry skin. If they do move, you need to head to the vet. Ask for Revolution, do NOT allow them to give your hedgehog ivermectin or ivomec.
    Becca

Quote Originally Posted by dzmeadows View Post
    Get a bright light, a piece of white paper, and a piece of dark paper. Hold him over the papers, ruffle his quills until some of the flakes fall off. Then, watch the flakes on the papers under the bright light. If any of the flakes move (and you may need to watch for a few minutes) Hubert has mites. If none move, then it may just be dry skin. If they do move, you need to head to the vet. Ask for Revolution, do NOT allow them to give your hedgehog ivermectin or ivomec.
    Becca
    Thank you so much
    I'll get right on that

Do you have a link to the Revolution stuff... is it anti mite drops or some thing? Im in the Uk and would like to buy it online.

It is called Stronghold in the UK. Here in the US you need a prescription from the vet
    Ann
    Connecticut Hedgehogs
    A USDA licensed African pygmy hedgehog breeder located in CT. We serve the tri-state area of CT, New York State and NJ as well as Western MA (and anywhere else you happen to be) Visit our website for more information