Thread: Red nocturnal heat lamp question

Red nocturnal heat lamp question

Right now I'm using a 75 watt red bulb for nocturnal animals. It keeps her cage at a steady 75. Are these bulbs ok to use for hedgehogs?

Administrator
    Some animals can see colors differently than others. I would recommend getting a heat device that doesn't produce light, like one of the ceramic emitters. Your best choice is to make sure the general environment is at an appropriate temperature, but if you need a little supplemental heat, avoid light producing ones.
    Becca

I wonder if the red light is making her sick. But anyhow I'll definitely get a ceramic heat emitter. Can they fit into a clamp on thingy that the red bulb goes in? Or is it a whole new device?

I used a red heat lamp for my hedgehog for 3 years with no problem, I even think the light helped him see better in the dark. We just recently swtiched to a ceramic infrared heat emitter that screws into the same fixture as the red heat lamp. We would go through 2-3 heat bulbs a year and the ceramic heat thingy will last up to 5 years. And it comes with a warranty.
    Momma to Wilhelmina Wiggles, and Winston Willobee III who has crossed the rainbow bridge.

What wattage are you using for the ceramic emitter? I'm probably going to pick one up.