Thread: Not really sure what to do.

Not really sure what to do.

Hi there,
    I'm a new hedgie owner, we just got Lily last week and she is about 7 weeks old now.

My concern is that she seems to be with constipation. 3 days ago I noticed her poop had a mucus coating with red in it. She did have die in some of her food. Now she seems to be straining to go, with no avail.

Lily hasn't eaten much, meal worms mostly because this is all I can really get her to eat
    She is drinking, and I am monitoring it and have even given water through a syringe.
    She is quilling right now.
    She doesn't seem really pissy but not overly reactive to anything, nose and such. Her quills are mostly laying down. Lily seems to have bursts of energy...she ran on her wheel last night and there was poop on it and hung out with me tonight and wasn't lathargic.
    I even tried a bath, no poop....

She is just not herself...am I overreacting and at which point to I take Lily to a vet?? Tomorrow morning?

Thanks in advance for the advice
    S
    Last edited by Sarah; 04-16-2012 at 09:10 PM.

I had this same issue with my hedgie when I first got her. The red mucus didn't happen to me, but as you said it could be the dye. Try using an eyedropper (or syringe) and put a few drops of olive oil (Not too much!!) in her dry food, I would cut back on the mealies as that was my issue with Reia, maybe put on in her food bowl to entice her to eat her food, but no more. Try this for a day or two and see if that helps her to poop.

Quilling also makes a lot of changes for them, someone on here told me that "It's like going through puberty AND teething ALL OVER your body all at once". What are you feeding her for food?
    ~Sam, the always worried Mommy~
    ♪♫ My 'lil Reia ~ 11/27/11 - 12/15/12 RIP 'lil girl ♫♪
    "There are no hedgehogs in captivity... instead, we are held captive... ... ... by the hedgehog."

I took little Lily to the vet today. We are very lucky to have a past breeder whom is a vet 20 minutes away and comes highly reccomended!!

She suspects Salmonella and perscribed an antibiotic and gave me some soft cat food for kitty's with an upset stomach that should help Lily. I'm really happy to report that she was fairly well hydrated, dispite her not really eating much these days. Although she has lost some weight in the last couple of days she is only slightly underweight. I feel better knowing that she is not severely underweight or really even dehydrated in the least.

The vet says my food choice for Lily is perfect and that she will come around to it very soon.

The vet is going to check up with me in the next couple of days, hopefully Lily will be 100% better!! Fingers crossed!!!

Thanks for the views and the advice Cardianharle!

S

You're welcome! I hope she's feeling better soon. <3
    ~Sam, the always worried Mommy~
    ♪♫ My 'lil Reia ~ 11/27/11 - 12/15/12 RIP 'lil girl ♫♪
    "There are no hedgehogs in captivity... instead, we are held captive... ... ... by the hedgehog."