Thread: New Hedgie Owner (slave)

New Hedgie Owner (slave)

I have wanted a hedgehog for a while and debated about buying a baby or an older one that needed a new home. Last night I saw an ad on Craigslist for a hedgehog that the folks couldn't keep so they were rehoming him with his cage, food, toys, etc. for $50. He is about 18 months old and has not had any health issues.

So....we drove into San Antonio, TX (we live in a little border town called Del Rio, TX) and adopted him. We just made it home a while ago.

While I did a lot of research while thinking about whether or not to get a hedgehog - I feel like all that knowledge just went out the window (of course I AM tired). He is in a small cage and I know I'm going to want to give him a bigger cage and playtimes. I forget his food - I will check in later with the name of the brand. He hasn't had much for treats.

He appears to be in good health (his eyes are clear, etc) and during the 3 1/2 hour ride home he was in a box in my daughter's lap and would frequently poke around and look up at her. We put some toilet paper in the box with him and then stopped about an hour before we got home and I got him a washcloth too at Walmart so he'd have some fabric to cover him.

During the trip home I noticed he did poop and pee.

I will be putting him on bottled water and watching him for diaherrea due to stress from the move and I'm only going to be feeding him his normal food for a few days so that I can catch any problems that might arise.

I think I'm in love already. I will try to share a photo soon - I want to say he is chocolate but I can't tell for sure.

I'd love to hear any tips or stories or links to articles (although I've read a ton).

Peg

P.S. We are changing his name - I suspect it will become "Frank" after Frank Deveraux on season 7 of Supernatural. (We were also looking at Crowley, Sterling and Shepard - Crowley and Sterling are both characters played by Mark Shepard in Supernatural and Leverage).
    Last edited by TexasMama; 04-23-2012 at 08:08 AM. Reason: trying to add photo

Aww congrats There are heaps of great articles in the menu up top "Hedgehog Info".
    Feel the Connection
    www.HorsesKnowTheWayHome.net

Hi there-your hedgie is a cutie I bet you and your daughter will take great care of him. If you have questions, we are here
    Ann
    Connecticut Hedgehogs
    A USDA licensed African pygmy hedgehog breeder located in CT. We serve the tri-state area of CT, New York State and NJ as well as Western MA (and anywhere else you happen to be) Visit our website for more information

Since we've brought Frank home, I've had him on the bed twice and let him play about an hour each time. He is really scared and shy at first but then he starts to open up a bit (particularly if I massage a certain spot on his back).

I haven't really tried to hold him and play with him because he hisses and spits and rolls into a ball when he's scared and I thought if I let him get used to our scents and voices and stuff first, it might help him adapt.

When he's put on the bed, he will often hide for about a minute or so and then bring his head up and look around. He'll walk around a bit and he keeps going to my husband and trying to chew on his clothes or lightly nip him. If my husband isn't on the bed then he'll just wander around. If he hears any sound he ducks his head for a minute or so and then he will become active again.

I haven't yet started him on treats because I switched him from hedgie food to a cat food mix and didn't want to irritate his digestive track too much.

My questions are - am I doing this right? Should I force him to let me hold him? I have rabbits and found that when I first got them - it was best to let them explore and then have their curiosity have them come check me out vs. making them let me hold them. So I'm sort of using that experience to guide me with Frank.

I have bought him a large Sterlite container to turn into a cage but have not yet moved him over to it as I'm not sure how many changes to do at once.

It sounds like you are doing fine and Frank is too You do want to get him used to being held but you don't have to force a lot of that on him immediately. Take your cues from him and his behavior-whether his quills are down, up, halfway up, etc. You can tell a lot from their body language.
    Switch him to the new cage whenever you are ready. He may like to explore new surroundings.
    Ann
    Connecticut Hedgehogs
    A USDA licensed African pygmy hedgehog breeder located in CT. We serve the tri-state area of CT, New York State and NJ as well as Western MA (and anywhere else you happen to be) Visit our website for more information

Welcome! He's a cutie, and it sounds like you guys are doing great so far.
    Terrapin Hedgehogs in MD Serving all of the mid-Atlantic and beyond!|
    Hedgehog World