Thread: Switching food over to a mix

Switching food over to a mix

As I shared in my introduction, our family adopted a hedgehog last night - and we received his cage (too small), wheel, food, food bowl and water bottle when we got him (he was being rehomed).

He has about 1/2 bag (3 pound size) of "Pretty Pets" Hedgehog food. I'd like to switch him over to a cat food mix or whatever is best for him - but I'm not sure of a couple of things.

• When should I switch him over (give him time to adjust?)
    • What ratio should I use to switch him over (75/25 at first and then 50/50 and then 25/75)?
    • How much should he eat? She free-fed him every couple of days whenever his bowl got empty.

Also - how do I know what brands to use?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Peg

When should I switch him over (give him time to adjust?)
    With Pretty pets, I would say start switching immediately. It is not a very good food and most of the hedgehogs don't like it either
    What ratio should I use to switch him over (75/25 at first and then 50/50 and then 25/75)?
    You can try doing the 75/25, 50/50, 25/75. He may stop eating the pretty pets entirely as soon as you offer him something else though. That has been my experience.
    How much should he eat? She free-fed him every couple of days whenever his bowl got empty.
    Around 2 tablespoons a day. You can free-feed. I recommend changing the food every night so they have fresh food at least once a day
    Ann
    Connecticut Hedgehogs
    A USDA licensed African pygmy hedgehog breeder located in CT. We serve the tri-state area of CT, New York State and NJ as well as Western MA (and anywhere else you happen to be) Visit our website for more information

Well, I switched him over to a mix of 4 different cat foods. One is the Purina One chicken & rice that I saw mentioned in an article and another one is the Purina Indoor Cat formula. My daughter tossed the bags so I don't have the other two exact names but one is "Healthy Naturals" with wholesome natural chicken and the other one is a Purina one that was higher in protein because the #1 ingredient on the list is chicken if I remember right.

I mixed 1/3 Purina One, 1/3 Purina Indoor and 1/6 of each of the other two "premium" foods that listed chicken first and had the higher protein amount. I then added in his hedgehog food.

I gave him about 1.5 tablespoons (almost closer to 2 tablespoons cause I think he's underweight) and it was all gone when I looked tonight (so within about 18 hours he ate it all).

Does that sound like a good mixture or is it too "rich" for him?