Thread: dog food

dog food

Had anyone used dog food instead of cat food?

The biggest problem with dog food is the size of the kibble. It is usually too big for a hedgehog so you would have to be crushing or breaking it up all the time.
    Ann
    Connecticut Hedgehogs
    A USDA licensed African pygmy hedgehog breeder located in CT. We serve the tri-state area of CT, New York State and NJ as well as Western MA (and anywhere else you happen to be) Visit our website for more information

So I can use dog food? There'sa brand of dog food by Purina that the kibble is small, the same size as cat kibble.same ingredients everything. I wanted to know if you guys already knew of a good dog food mix. I'm getting my little guy this Saturday.he's 2 months old and he's on hedgehog food... His living condition is poor and I want to be able to give him the best. If dog food doesn't work or there isn't a pre- approved mix i'm getting him the Purina one chicken and rice with Purina indoor cat mix..will that be good for his age?

If you're talking about this Smartblend Purina One - Chicken & Rice Dry Cat Food, I would watch out for ingredients in it like brewers rice, corn gluten meal, poultry by-product meal, caramel color (?). The Dry Dog food version of this brand has those same ingredients in it, as well as a lower amount of protein (26% vs. 34%) and higher fat (16% vs 13%).
    Purina's Indoor Formula reads to have corn meal, poultry by-product meal, corn gluten meal, added color (Red 40, Yellow 5, Blue 2), soybean hulls in their ingredients.

I use Purina One Beyond dry cat food for my hedgie. ^-^ It doesn't have corn, wheat, or food coloring.
    There is no life I know,
    To compare with pure imagination,
    Living there you'll be free,
    If you truly wish to be.

Is that the only bag of food you give him? or is it mixed? You're right btw,I took a picture of the ingredients yesterday and just finished looking through them.
    And what do you do to give him more fiber?
    Last edited by fallen; 05-01-2012 at 09:09 AM.

Feeding is a sensitive subject. Basically, staying clear of the commercial hedgehog foods overall is the one thing I think we all agree on. As for staying away from corn, wheat, by products, etc - that's a judgement call. If you ask any one who has been raising hedgehogs for many years, they'll tell you that those things are needed to keep a hedgehog healthy. Feeding the great foods for cats/dogs - IMHO causes early liver issues, and a shorter lifespan.
    Terrapin Hedgehogs in MD Serving all of the mid-Atlantic and beyond!|
    Hedgehog World

i've read that the guys need the fillers etc., so will mixing that brand of dog food and Purina one chicken and rice carry food be good mix? Our should I just stick to Purina one and indoor mix? For fiber I know I've read people adding baby cereal to the food every 2 days

Did you find out which brand to use? I'm totally stuck and have been to the pet shop twice the last two days and bought the wrong food... tonight she has no cat biscuites at all just some fruit and meat, realy stuck.