Thread: Extreme poop boots.

Extreme poop boots.

I haven't posted here in quite a long time, but I need your help.

I was on vacation for a few weeks with my family. While I was away, I had asked a friend of mine to hog-sit for me. I wrote a list of her tasks and Dingo's regular bath schedule. Well, I picked him up last night and the first thing I noticed was a /very/ dirty wheel. When I took him out I noticed that his back right leg had an /extremely/ poopy boot. There was poop literally caked on the end of his foot, as it it were cement. I immediately gave him a foot bath and tried to gently scrub it off only to find it was too caked on. After draining and replacing the water a few times, some of the poop did come off. However, as I was gently rubbing I noticed one of his toes began to bleed. I panicked and stopped the bath all together. I soaked his feet again just now and a bit more came off. I was too afraid to scrub at it, though.

There's still a good amount of poop stuck to his foot, but I'm afraid to hurt him. At 4 years old, he's getting up there and I don't want to stress him out either... but at the same time, I can't leave him like this. I don't know what to do. I took out his wheel to prevent further build-up. I'm not sure if I should wait until tomorrow, or give him another bath in a little while. Any suggestions would be wonderful!

And if anyone is wondering, I won't be asking this "friend" to hog-sit anymore!

Maybe try olive oil/bag balm/vitamin e oil or something like it to loosen and moisturize his feet? It may feel better than a bath would
    Ann
    Connecticut Hedgehogs
    A USDA licensed African pygmy hedgehog breeder located in CT. We serve the tri-state area of CT, New York State and NJ as well as Western MA (and anywhere else you happen to be) Visit our website for more information

It's off! Thank-goodness! I gave him another little foot soak, just enough to cover his toes and the poo came off in one chunk. Gross, but thank goodness! His foot looks fine. But just in case, I rubbed his toes with a little bit of vitamin E to soothe his skin.
    -Laura
    22 Years Old
    New York
    Mommy of Dingo the African Pygmy Hedgehog