Thread: Dry skin...

Unhappy Dry skin...

I went to clean Hubert's cage and there were a lot, I mean like covered the whole cage, of skin flakes or something. I'm worried that his skin is dry or something. But I don't know if I should worry, or if I should find some sort of shampoo or something. I'm just not sure what to do.
    Thanks in advance.
    -Matraisa & Hubert

I would get him to the vet and ask for advice- there are a lot of different things that can cause dry skin, and mites is a big one. If he has mites, you'll want prescription treatment.

I checked for mites, he doesn't have them.
    -Matraisa & Hubert

You can try a bath with a couple of drops of olive oil and see if that helps if you don't think it is mites. Hedgehogs are prone to dry skin so it is not a huge worry unless they are scratching and uncomfortable.
    Ann
    Connecticut Hedgehogs
    A USDA licensed African pygmy hedgehog breeder located in CT. We serve the tri-state area of CT, New York State and NJ as well as Western MA (and anywhere else you happen to be) Visit our website for more information

Could he be quilling? I know when Reia was quilling, she had horrible dry skin. I would make sure it's not mites first, as Ann said. I was using organic flax seed oil for Reia after baths, a few drops down the center of her back, and that seemed to help her.
    ~Sam, the always worried Mommy~
    ♪♫ My 'lil Reia ~ 11/27/11 - 12/15/12 RIP 'lil girl ♫♪
    "There are no hedgehogs in captivity... instead, we are held captive... ... ... by the hedgehog."

For dead dry skin I ground up some oat meal in a blender and ad water and make a paste and put it on there backs and then rinse. It seems to help a lot. Also I heard vitamin E oil on the back helps a lot too. God bless!!

My breeder gave us coconut oil I think it is

I noticed my hedgies had been itching a lot recently I heard tell of a rumor about an oatmeal bath. I decided it was worth a try. So I took regular flavored oatmeal, poured it into an old, clean sock of one of my kids and squished it until a cloudy liquid was coming out of it (the cloudy liquid looked like watered down glue). I was quite surprised to find that their itching has nearly stopped and their skin looks better than it ever has.

Aveeno sells oatmeal bath powder that you can use for your hedgie; I have used it with success on my hedgehogs. You just add the powder to the water and then pour it over the hedgie and it comforts the skin.