Thread: Is my new hedgehog very sick?

Exclamation Is my new hedgehog very sick?

I recently took in a new pet hedgehog he is a male and 6 months old. Ever since he arrived he has been very angry like and he hisses and balls up if I even go near the habitat. I have had him for a week now and for 30min a night I hold him in his blanket next me in a quiet dark room while I am online or I read. I'm lucky if he even unballs a little bit during that time. He dosen't walk around outside his cage and I also just discovered he has mites and made a vet appointment. I suspected he may have mites because his skin seemed a bit reder than is common, i'm not certain because I've never owned a hedgie before. He also seemed to have very flaky skin and is losing a few quills, no bare patches though.
    Should I avoid stressing him out by handling him until the mites are treated and is it normal for a hedgehog to be this opposed to human contact?
    Also tonight when I brought him out I tried lying him on my bed with me there and he did explore a bit but then sat down in the blanket and I noticed he was shaking. The past 4 nights he has not come out nearly as much to run on his wheel and spends more time sleeping. But he is eating and drinking well. Also his poop seems maybe a very dark green and somewhat loose, not as hard as normal. The temperature in the house is 74 and he has a snuggle sack. When I saw him shaking just now I warmed a towel in the dryer and placed it on him for warmth. Any advice as to what is going on? I am very worried.

Thanks in advance.

What you are describing can be normal for a hedgehog when they are in a rescue type situation-not unrolling, green stool, losing some quills, not coming out much, etc. Some hedgehogs deal with a change in environment better than others and if you have only had him a week, he will need more time to get used to you. For a lot of hedgehogs, it takes at least a couple of weeks. Just keep doing what you are doing. If he likes to explore, let him do so in a safe area-if you are nearby he is still getting used to you.

About the shaking-was he smelling something? Hedgehogs rely a lot on their sense of smell and it can look like they are shaking if they are smelling something in the air and are really excited about it Does his belly feel cool to the touch? That is one way to know whether they are warm or not.

A vet visit is a good idea. If you do have to treat him for mites, revolution which is a spot on that goes between the shoulder blades is the recommended treatment. Do not let the vet use ivermectin shots which can harm hedgehogs.
    Ann
    Connecticut Hedgehogs
    A USDA licensed African pygmy hedgehog breeder located in CT. We serve the tri-state area of CT, New York State and NJ as well as Western MA (and anywhere else you happen to be) Visit our website for more information

The only other thing I'd add to what Ann wrote above, is to ask if he was making a 'huffing' noise while shaking, that can be a sign of insecurity (again, normal) and the fact that he was coming out to investigate is great. Be patient, keep doing what you're doing.
    Terrapin Hedgehogs in MD Serving all of the mid-Atlantic and beyond!|
    Hedgehog World

Thank you all so very much

You have really settled my nerves. Martin is walking around on my bed some now if I stay very still. He really likes to explore :-) I don't think the shaking was a case of hibernation because he is still very active running on his wheel and eats and drinks plenty.
    I was wondering if it is okay that I use towels as bedding? I change them daily and make sure to check for loose threads. I looked for cloth cage liners but none of my local pet stores carry them and I am a little uneasy towards wood bedding, I am allergic and I am also worried it could carry mites. So are towels okay or should I order some cloth cage liners offline?
    One more question, what is the proper way to give a foot bath? He sometimes gets poopy feet from running on his wheel and it dosen't seem sanitary.
    Thank you all so much times a million! He has his vet visit tomorrow!

I think it was just nerves because he was huffing. Thank you so much, dear! I really appreciate the support.

This was so very helpful, I can not thank you enough. It was not easy for me to check his belly because he curls up in a ball and I can't feel him. But he has been very active so I do not think it was hibernation. I do unfortunately think he has mites because I checked by placing him on a black sheet of paper and lots of dandruff fell off and I placed it under a light and I saw one tiny one walking around. I am almost certain it was mites so it's good he has his vet visit tomorrow. I've read up and I wiill be certain not to let the vet use ivermectin and request revolution. Should revolution be applied more than once?

So are towels okay or should I order some cloth cage liners offline?
    You can use fleece or other stringless cloth that you get at a fabric store or walmart

what is the proper way to give a foot bath? He sometimes gets poopy feet from running on his wheel and it dosen't seem sanitary.
    Put an inch or two of water in the sink and let him run around in it-that should clean his feet

Should revolution be applied more than once?
    Often all you need is one treatment of revolution. Do not give a bath afterwards for a few days at least
    Ann
    Connecticut Hedgehogs
    A USDA licensed African pygmy hedgehog breeder located in CT. We serve the tri-state area of CT, New York State and NJ as well as Western MA (and anywhere else you happen to be) Visit our website for more information

Okay so towels are not acceptable bedding then?
    The vet visit went well today and I was given the treatment for the mites. His skin is very dry and flaky because of the mites will the revolution help with this or should I do something else?
    Thank you again from the bottom of my heart.
    Iím new at the whole hedgehog thing so I tend to fret and have lots of questions. I really adore my rescue hedgehog, Martin <3 In fact, I tend to refer to him as Prince Martin. :^)

The problem with towels is that they are stringy and loopy and a hedgehogs nail, toe, leg, etc can get a string wrapped around and cut off circulation. Not to say it will happen every time, but it has happened. If you use cloth, fleece or something stringless is better so you are not constantly checking for loose threads.
    Ann
    Connecticut Hedgehogs