Thread: Please help possible eye problem

Exclamation Please help possible eye problem

I just took my hedgie to the vet yesterday. We waited three hours and she did not seem to know anything. I was positive Martin had mites from having him walk around on black paper and lots of dander came off. I checked under a light and I could most certainly see a little mite walking around on the black paper. So the vet gave me a treatment of revolution but did not really examine my hedgehog very much. Tonight as he was walking around on the bed I noticed a few more quills in his habitat and he has crazy dandruff and flaky skin. If you look at the pictures I attached I am concerned about his eyes. The area surrounding his eyes does not look normal. Could this be because of mites? I am very worried.
    Also what could I do to ease his dry flaky skin? Will the revolution cover this?

Because he has not lost his quills in patches and the situation of his eyes could this be ringworm? oh no....
    Thank you all so so much.

EDIT: I took some pictures of his rear. it seems red to me.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Johnlock; 05-28-2012 at 01:35 AM.
    Iím new at the whole hedgehog thing so I tend to fret and have lots of questions. I really adore my rescue hedgehog, Martin <3 In fact, I tend to refer to him as Prince Martin. :^)

Awww, poor little guy! Revolution should take care of all his issues. You'll continue to see flaky skin and quill loss - his skin has been irritated, and the quills damaged. Even though the mites are gone (going) - it won't make the damage go away right away.
    You can bathe him in a few days (let all the revolution soak into his system) with an oil rinse, which will help.
    He's a cutie!!
    Terrapin Hedgehogs in MD Serving all of the mid-Atlantic and beyond!|
    Hedgehog World

Quote Originally Posted by Stasi View Post
    Awww, poor little guy! Revolution should take care of all his issues. You'll continue to see flaky skin and quill loss - his skin has been irritated, and the quills damaged. Even though the mites are gone (going) - it won't make the damage go away right away.
    You can bathe him in a few days (let all the revolution soak into his system) with an oil rinse, which will help.
    He's a cutie!!
    Okay so you do not believe it looks like ringworm? Thank you so very much. Any oil rinse you can suggest? :^)
    Iím new at the whole hedgehog thing so I tend to fret and have lots of questions. I really adore my rescue hedgehog, Martin <3 In fact, I tend to refer to him as Prince Martin. :^)

just a couple tsp of jojoba or olive oil in the rinse water will help. Do wait a couple/few days and make sure the revolution is completely soaked in.
    Terrapin Hedgehogs in MD Serving all of the mid-Atlantic and beyond!|
    Hedgehog World

Quote Originally Posted by Stasi View Post
    just a couple tsp of jojoba or olive oil in the rinse water will help. Do wait a couple/few days and make sure the revolution is completely soaked in.
    Thank you I will, I'll wait at least a week just to be sure. Should I use a toothbrush or treat it like a foot bath and have him just walk around? I've never bathed him since I've only had him for a week and a half or so I don't really know how that goes. And I just dry him off with a towel?

Oh do hedgie quills grow back? He's lost a good many now from the mites. No patches or anything but I'm still worried.

When I give Winston his full bath, I scrub him down with a toothbrush to make sure I get any dirt/dead skin off of him. I rinse him with regular water, then I have a cup of Vitamin E oil water that I do a final rinse with. Then I dry him off with a towel, clip his nails, and give him a treat for being such a good boy.

Yes quills do grow back. It is normal for them to shed one or two here and there.
    Momma to Wilhelmina Wiggles, and Winston Willobee III who has crossed the rainbow bridge.

Quote Originally Posted by termonjai View Post
    When I give Winston his full bath, I scrub him down with a toothbrush to make sure I get any dirt/dead skin off of him. I rinse him with regular water, then I have a cup of Vitamin E oil water that I do a final rinse with. Then I dry him off with a towel, clip his nails, and give him a treat for being such a good boy.

Yes quills do grow back. It is normal for them to shed one or two here and there.
    Thank you very very much that was very helpful. I really appreciate it.